Illinois baseball loses Big Ten tournament opener to Penn State

Junior+infielder+Coltin+Quagliano+makes+a+throw.+
Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
Junior infielder Coltin Quagliano makes a throw.

Illinois baseball traveled to Omaha, Nebraska this week for the Big Ten tournament, facing Penn State in the first round. Penn State won the contest eight runs to four. This is the Illini’s fourth straight first-round loss in the Big Ten tournament, with their last opening win coming against Indiana in 2018.

Penn State moves on to play Michigan, with Illinois set to face off against the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Starting on the mound for the Illini was senior right-hander Jack Crowder. Crowder allowed three runs on seven hits over five innings pitched, with five strikeouts and three walks. The Nittany Lions scored their first run in the first inning on a sacrifice fly ball and their next two runs on a single in the fourth inning.

In the fifth inning, junior infielder Coltin Quagliano scored the Illini’s first run on a sacrifice fly-ball that was hit by junior catcher Camden Janik, who was just named to the 2024 All-Big Ten first team. 

Sophomore right-hander Julius Sanchez came in to throw the next two innings, allowing two runs on three hits and striking out two batters. Penn State stretched the lead to 5-1 in the sixth inning with a 419-foot two-run homer.

In the bottom of the sixth, junior outfielder Ryan Moerman got on base with a single and scored after an error by the Nittany Lions’ first-baseman, bringing the score to 5-2 to start the seventh.

Senior infielder Cal Hejza was hit by a pitch in the seventh, but a grounder by Janik led to a fielder’s choice, forcing Hejza out. Redshirt junior infielder Drake Westcott, who was just named to the 2024 All-Big Ten third team, hit a single to put runners on the corners. Junior infielder Vytas Valincius hit a left-side ground out allowing Janik to score, bringing the game to 5-3.

Senior right-hander Jake Rons came in at the top of the eighth, giving up three runs on two hits, along with a walk. The Nittany Lions loaded the bases and scored their sixth run on a sacrifice fly-ball and their seventh and eighth runs on a line drive, extending their lead to 8-3. Redshirt sophomore right-hander Ben Plumley came in to secure the final two outs of the inning.

In the bottom of the eighth, senior designated hitter Jacob Schroeder, who was also just named to the 2024 All-Big Ten first team, hit a single to right field and advanced to second after a ground out. Quagliano hit a double to bring Schroeder home, cutting the deficit to 8-4. 

At the top of the ninth, senior right-hander Korey Bunselmeyer came in to finish the game, giving up zero runs on one hit, along with a strikeout. The Illini offense was unable to cut the deficit in the bottom of the ninth, and the game ended with a final score of 8-4.

The Illini will continue tomorrow, playing the Iowa Hawkeyes at 10 a.m. CT.