Illinois cross country prepares to race in Peoria for Bradley Pink Classic

After a week off, the Illinois men’s cross country team will wrap up its regular season at the Bradley Pink Classic this coming Friday.

The Illini will travel to Peoria’s Newman Golf Course for one final tuneup before the Big Ten championships.

On Sept. 29, the Illini posted 46 points to win the Gans Creek Classic in Columbia, Missouri behind the strong performances of senior Jack Roberts and sophomores Alex Partlow and Brady Masters.

Roberts was the overall winner of the meet, setting a personal best and recording the seventh-fastest 8k in program history with a time of 23:48.8.

Partlow, with a time of 24:16.1, and junior Nicolas Dovalovsky, with a time of 24:25.8, both set personal bests while finishing eighth and 12th, respectively. Masters finished ninth with a time of 24:20.3.

Also contributing to the victory were junior Anthony Madia, who finished 16th with a time of 24:35.8; freshman Kyle Clark, who finished 81st with a time of 25:45.7; senior Evan Cummins, who finished 131st with a time of 26:31.1; sophomore Shawn Juliette, who finished 149th with a time of 26:48.4; and Will O’Brien, who finished 168th with a time of 27:03.3.

Illinois also won the Illini Open with 28 points on Sept. 1 and finished second in the Badger Classic with 53 points on Sept. 6.

The Illini finished fourth overall with 145 points last year at the Bradley Pink Classic. In 2015, Illinois tallied 70 points to win the meet for the first and only time.

This year’s meet will feature both an 8k open race at 1:30 p.m. and an 8k invite race at 3 p.m. The Illini will have runners in both events.

The track around Newman Golf Course consists of a single lap around the mostly flat 2,000-meter initial loop followed by three laps around the hilly 2,000-meter inner loop before the finish straightaway.

Illinois will have next week off before the Big Ten championship on Oct. 27 in Madison, Wisconsin.