Illinois secures commitment from four-star wide receiver Malik Elzy

Courtesy of Illinois Athletics

Simeon HS wide reciever Malik Elzy poses during official visit photoshoot.

By Jonathan Alday, Assistant Sports Editor

Four-star Simeon (Ill.) Malik Elzy announced his commitment to Illinois at the 2023 All-American Bowl at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. His commitment to Illinois was a long and well-fought battle by WRs coach George McDonald and head coach Bret Bielema’s staff to secure another top-five in-state talent.

Elzy is a 6-foot-3, 200-pound wide receiver from Chicago, Illinois and joins running back Kaden Feagin and Saboor Karriem as one of Illinois’ three four-star preps recruits this cycle.

Since Bielema joined the Illini, he has remained vocal and active in his commitment to retain top in-state talent. Elzy is the 22nd commitment of the 2023 football recruiting cycle and the 19th Bielema recruit from the state of Illinois.

Elzy is Illinois’ highest-rated wide receiver recruit since five-star Arrelious Benn in 2007. Illinois landed two four-star skill position recruits (WR Elzy, RB Feagin) for the first time since 2009 (QB Scheelhaase, RB Golden).

Elzy joins a wide receiver room that has lost two players since the conclusion of the bowl season (Brian Hightower and Jonah Morris) and is part of a recruiting push in the last two years to accumulate a position group that is diverse in skillset.

@JonathanAlday7