Illinois defensive back Zachary Tobe enters transfer portal

Candice Zhou
Defensive players Tarique Barnes, Tyler Strain and Zachary Tobe leave the field after a turnover during the Homecoming Football game against Wisconsin on Oct. 21.

Freshman defensive back Zachary Tobe entered himself into the transfer portal on Tuesday, per 247Sports. He enters the portal just as the second window for college football transfers opens, and isn’t the only expected departure.

The 6-foot-2 corner from Florida declared his commitment to Illinois in the summer of 2022 after originally announcing he would be attending the University of North Carolina for his football career. This past season with the Illini, Tobe played in 10 games, even starting in three. In his appearances, he totaled 25 tackles, showing potential in just his first season of collegiate play.

His decision to enter the transfer portal impacts an already thin secondary for Illinois, their most problematic room a year ago. Tobe also marks the eighth Spring transfer for the Illini according to 247Sports, joining redshirt freshman offensive lineman Joey Okla, tight end Owen Anderson, wide receiver Eian Pugh and Jared Badie, sophomore defensive lineman Dylan Davis and offensive lineman Will Leys and junior defensive lineman Anthony Johnson.

With the portal open, head coach Bret Bielema will likely look to fill some of the recent openings that players like Tobe left. Illinois’ remaining secondary will get an opportunity for action in the spring game, taking place at Memorial Stadium this Saturday, April 20.

@tess_eken

@benfader7