Illini stay hot with big-time coaching addition

Former+Toledo+cornerbacks+coach+Corey+Parker+was+named+Illinois%E2%80%99+defensive+backs+coach.+
Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
Former Toledo cornerbacks coach Corey Parker was named Illinois’ defensive backs coach.

A day after landing a talented defensive back transfer, the Illini provided him with a coach. Illinois announced the hire of defensive backs coach Corey Parker on Monday, taking the role formerly held by guys including Purdue head coach Ryan Walters and current Illinois defensive coordinator Aaron Henry. 

After a poor year for the Illini secondary, they now make two big additions including four-star rising junior Terrance Brooks who will transfer from Texas. Following many meaningful snaps for a College Football Playoff team a year ago, Brooks will now join a group of guys under the leadership of a new coach, looking to take on an improved Big Ten. 

Parker’s coaching career began at the high school level, leading River Rouge to a Michigan state title in 2019 and was a two-time coach of the year. He then joined the Toledo Rockets staff for the last two years, helping with the development of superstar Quinyon Mitchell. 

Once a three-star prospect, Mitchell transformed under Parker, earning All-America honors in both seasons with the coach. The corner went No. 22 overall in the 2024 draft, the first defensive back off the board. 

With Parker and Henry, the Illini now have the defensive back coaches of the last two highest-drafted cornerbacks. The coaching staff has already gone to work recruiting using this pitch, with Illinois recruiting assistant Houston Griffith stating, “Women Lie, Men Lie, but numbers don’t!”

@benfader7