No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics takes down No. 1 Oklahoma

Olivia McAfoos
Sophomore All-around Tate Costa performs a press hand stand in his floor routine against Oklahoma on Sunday.

Illinois men’s gymnastics came out on top against No. 1 Oklahoma 407.200-406.650 on Sunday in Champaign. In the week four poll, Illinois remained at No. 5 while Oklahoma was knocked back down to No. 2 due to the loss. This was the ninth matchup between Illinois and Oklahoma and the first time the Illini have come out on top.

The Illini won two titles at the meet after all-around senior Will Hauke scored 14.100 on the parallel bars. Two-time back-to-back Big Ten champion, senior Ashton Anaya, also scored 14.100 and won the title for the still rings.

Illinois overall won the floor event (69.100-68.100), rings (66.900-66.450) and parallel bars (66.850-63.350). However, the Illini suffered a close loss on the high bar (67.250-67.650), vault (70.200-72.150) and pommel event (66.900-68.750).

All-around sophomore Tate Costa shared his insights into the team’s mindset regarding meet days. Costa also noted how the team focuses on themselves individually so they come out with a win.

“I think it’s close every day, we’re going to have to fight for all of our wins,” Costa said. “We are all prepared to do that and be ready in the right mindset to compete and win. Compete and hit. That’s what it’s all about. It’s about us hitting out sets, so everyone’s focusing on themselves and the team is just ready to go in and hit every routine we put out.”

Costa shared how he feels the team is very close and always has each other’s back no matter what.

“Here at Illinois, our school, our team is very close, we’re brothers,” Costa said. “Win or lose, we’re there for each other. We’re always trying to have each other succeed. We’re looking to bring the best out of everyone. We pick the boys up when they’re down and hype the boys up when they’re up.”

Next up for the team is No. 4 Michigan at home and Costa said that he thinks Illinois has a good chance once again. The Illini previously lost to the Wolverines at the Windy City Invitational earlier in January.

“We’re pretty close so far this season,” Costa said. “I definitely think that we have a good chance of winning. Feed off being in our home environment, used to the equipment and being more comfortable where we’re at and another week under our belt will be helping us to be even more prepared to beat Michigan next week.”

Illinois men’s gymnastics will be back at Huff Hall this Saturday at 2 p.m. as it takes on Michigan — the reigning Big Ten champions.