No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics prepares to take on No. 4 Michigan

Junior+all-around+Amari+Sewell+celebrates+with+his+team+after+completing+his+floor+routine+during+the+game+against+Michigan+yesterday.+
Isaac Pinkus
Junior all-around Amari Sewell celebrates with his team after completing his floor routine during the game against Michigan yesterday.

No. 5 Illinois men’s gymnastics is coming off of yet another win this past weekend, upsetting No. 1 Oklahoma 407.2000-406.650 to put its season record at 5-1. 

The Illini won two titles at the meet against the Hoosiers, with all-around senior Will Hauke scoring 14.100 on the parallel bars and back-to-back Big Ten champion senior Ashton Anaya winning the title for the still rings with a score of 14.100.

Hauke talked about the team’s energy and momentum going into this weekend against No. 4 Michigan, the reigning Big Ten champions. The Wolverines also have an impressive 7-0 record for this season so far.

“Definitely some hyped-up momentum going into this weekend against Michigan,” Hauke said. “We know it’s going to be another tough battle. We know we just need to focus on ourselves and have fun out there.”

This Saturday’s meet also marks the first Big Ten conference meet for Illinois. Hauke shared some insights into how the lineup for this meet might be slightly safer than other lineup options. Hauke said that while the coaches try new roster changes, it’s better to go the safe route for conference matchups.

“If it’s not a conference meet, the coaches might put a new guy in the lineup to try and get them some confidence and experience,” Hauke said. “But with it being a Big Ten matchup, it’s more important for that regular season Big Ten season championship that we want to get. We put in more experienced guys, safer options, just so it’s safe for all around.”

However, Hauke also added that they prepare the same no matter who is on the other end and mentioned how all Big Ten teams are just as competitive as last year.

“It doesn’t really look much different than any other meet week other than trying to keep ourselves feeling fresh and feeling good, so not overworking ourselves,“ Hauke said. “All of the Big Ten teams this year, similar to last year, are very talented and close in how competitive everyone is. It should be a really fun battle with everyone.”

The Illini previously lost to the Wolverines 405.150-404.450 at the Windy City Invitational on Jan. 13, so the team is focusing on perfection as they prepare for another close matchup this week. Fixing mistakes is key to improved performance, according to Hauke — a strategy that seems to be working for the Illini. 

“Hone in on the little things and the little mistakes we made last weekend,” Hauke said. “Trying to get those out the window to have a better performance this weekend.”

Illinois will be back on Saturday, competing against Michigan at Huff Hall at 2 p.m.