Illinois hockey prepares for weekend doubleheader with hopes of igniting win streak

After finally getting back into the win column, Illinois hockey (4-5) looks to continue its winning ways against Roosevelt University (5-3) this weekend. The Illini will take ice without one of the main players, as senior goalie Ben Mazurek is unable to play due to an MCL injury that took place in last weekend’s game against Alabama. Senior goalie Nolan Woodring will be taking guard of the net this week.

“We will have only one goalie this week,” said head coach John Opilka. “Obviously it hurts losing Ben (Mazurek), but Nolan (Woodring) is looking forward to it and he will take full advantage of the opportunity for sure.” 

After a 19-round shootout thriller last weekend in Alabama, the team has responded well. Team morale is the highest it has been since the small losing streak they faced earlier this month. Practices have had more intensity and players emphasize playing with more drive on the ice. The main focus is going to be about being consistent this week during practice and throughout this weekend. 

“We have to be willing to do the little things every night,” Opilka said. “Staying disciplined to give us a chance to win.” 

Making sure the team is chipping pucks in, chipping pucks out, staying in the box, taking the big hits — those are the little things Opilka has highlighted as the main focus for the Illini. Along with that, Opilka expressed how important it is to keep the process of preparing for games at the front of Illinoisʼ minds.

“Just worry about ourselves,” Opilka explained. “All we have to do is worry about our process and how we are going to do the little things and to do whatever it takes to win.”

Doing whatever it takes to win will be key, as the Illini are going up against a strong opponent in Roosevelt University. Roosevelt comes into this weekend after suffering two losses against Adrian College but already has four players with double digits through seven games this season. Senior forward Matthew Lajoie has a team-high of seven goals scored. Alongside Lajoie is junior forward Griffing Lehet who leads the team with 10 goals assisted and boasts a team-high in total points with 14. 

Although the Lakers are on a two game losing skid, what they have been able to accomplish in their first seven games shouldn’t be ignored. Four of their five wins resulted in a score of at least seven goals scored. One of their games being a 10-point win against Eastern Michigan earlier this month. This weekend will be another test for the Illini as they have struggled recently with high scoring teams such as the Lakers. 

For Illinois, it is going to be a tough task for Woodring to step in against such a potent offense. Although, the Illini have won both of Woodringʼs two previous starts this season. The offense will be something that is going to be a big focus for the Illini as they look to see if they can match Roosevelt throughout this weekend. With the spark of success that the team has found last weekend, Opilka hopes that it will continue into this weekend.

The Illini are back at home for Friday night for their first matchup against the Lakers. For that game, the puck will be dropped at 7 p.m. in the Ice Arena in Champaign. On Saturday, both teams will take the bus to The Edge Ice Arena in Bensenville, Illinois for their second matchup of the weekend.

@Jon_Mathew23