Illinois hockey fumbles Route 51 rivalry, drops both games to Illinois State

Riding high off last weekend’s sweep, Illinois (6-5-0) played a competitive weekend of hockey but ultimately lost both games to Illinois State (7-7-0). The Redbirds took Friday’s game 6-4 in a high-scoring affair and snuck out a close 4-2 late Sunday night.

Friday’s game saw the return of senior goalie Ben Mazurek, as he came on in relief of junior goalie Nolan Woodring, who surrendered three goals in the first 15 minutes. After battling some injuries that kept him out of last weekend’s competition, it was nice to see a team staple on the ice again despite the loss.

Those three early goals played a massive part in the final score as the Illini rallied quickly after Mazurek’s entrance. Goals from graduate forward Alek Bogdonoff, freshman forward David Etingen and freshman forward Anthony Varrassi gave Illinois a 4-3 lead in the second period, as they already had an early goal from senior forward Peter Campisi. The Redbirds scored three straight goals, this time on Mazurek, to close out the game and secure their victory.

Head coach John Opilka was not pleased when talking about his team’s special teams unit and penalty kill after the game.

“Giving up a 5-on-3 shorthanded goal and taking terrible penalties on the power play,” Opilka said. “It’s hard to beat anyone when you give away your chances on the power play and let them off the hook.”

Woodring saw the start again in game two on Sunday night, and it was a competitive one for all the Illini fans in attendance. Illinois kept it close with goals from senior forward Alexander Matveev and junior defenseman Nick Andersen as the Illini trailed 3-2 late into the third period. However, as they were able to do all weekend, the Redbirds picked up a clutch fourth goal to ice it, picking up their second win.

Going forward, the Illini cannot afford to be as up and down if they hope to make some serious noise in the postseason. Illinois has one more chance to prove itself this month before Thanksgiving break, and Opilka is not taking that lightly.

“We have to commit to playing the right way for 60 minutes,” Opilka said. “Do what it takes to win games, blocking shots, taking hits, chipping pucks out and making smart hockey plays. We must also be disciplined and stop taking penalties at inopportune times.”

Fans’ last chance to see Illini (6-7-0) hockey this month comes next weekend as they host the McKendree University (5-6-0) Bearcats in Champaign. Games will be played at 7 p.m. at the Ice Arena on Friday and Saturday nights.

@spitzanity