No. 10 Illinois men’s basketball gets back into win column with narrow victory over Michigan State

Angel Saldivar
Sophomore Ty Rodgers completes a dunk in the first half against Michigan State on Thursday. Rodgers contributed a total of 15 points during the encounter.

There was a sizable break in action for No. 10 Illinois men’s basketball after its road loss to No. 1 Purdue, who returned home six days later for a meeting with Michigan State. The formerly ranked Spartans entered Thursday night with a big loss to the Northwestern Wildcats in the rear view mirror and a disappointing 9-6 record. By the end of the night, Illinois emerged victorious in a down to the wire 71-68 victory. 

Illinois’ starting lineup has remained unchanged through four games since the suspension of fifth-year guard Terrence Shannon Jr. was announced. Junior guard Luke Goode joined the regular ensemble of graduate student forward Quincy Guerrier, graduate student forward Marcus Domask, senior forward Coleman Hawkins and sophomore guard Ty Rodgers. 

In front of a packed Illinois crowd, Michigan State came down with the tipoff. Unfortunately for the Spartans, their first shot was swatted by Hawkins and the Illini got their first crack at the basket with an empty scoreboard.

Michigan State began with a defensive philosophy similar to Purdue and put its best paint protector on Rodgers. While that might’ve been effective for the Boilermakers, Rodgers was quick to punish his defender in transition and get the Illini on the board. A shooting foul on Rodgers was met with groans from the home crowd, but Michigan State was unable to fully capitalize on its fortune and split the pair. Rodgers continued to add to his eventful start with a two-handed dunk and a deflection on the defensive end.

In response to a run by Michigan State, Guerrier made a three that was Illinois’ first make from distance after an 0-4 start and redshirt junior forward Dain Dainja’s transition layup got the State Farm Center on its feet heading into the game’s first media timeout (15-8). 

Rodgers was given a breather after his electric start and picked up where he left off upon checking back in. Two more baskets made Rodgers the first Illini to double figures and impressive plays continued to pile up for the Michigan native, who racked up another bucket and an impressive block before checking out again.

The Spartans were able to get within a possession thanks to a pair of three-pointers, but the Illini answered in a flash. Senior guard Justin Harmon, Goode and Domask combining for seven points in 53 seconds drew an immediate timeout from Michigan State (35-26).

A break from the action appeared to be all the Spartans needed, as they rattled off eight straight points in the first half’s closing minutes. Harmon sank two free throws before the final whistle, but Illinois’ lead had gotten much smaller heading into the break (37-34).

Michigan State continued to gain on Illinois when play resumed and tied the game on its first possession. Hawkins and Guerrier combined to put Illinois back in front with a powerful dunk but that advantage was short lived. 

It only took a couple more minutes for Michigan State to take its first lead since the beginning of the game. The visitors’ lead got as high as six points, but with the crowd on its feet for every defensive possession, the Illini began to string stops together.

Several Illini capitalized on go ahead shots in impressive fashion, highlighted by a pretty pump fake from Guerrier and a smooth three pointer by Harmon. Illinois’ newly regained lead grew as high as eight after a pair of three pointers from Hawkins. 

Difficult shot making kept Michigan State alive down the stretch and over the course of four minutes Illinois’ lead had been whittled down to a single point. Despite being in his 37th minute of play, Domask remained composed and earned a trip to the free-throw line, but a basket by Michigan State immediately reset the count (67-66).

Hawkins also gave the Illini two points at the free throw line and the Spartans answered with yet another basket (69-68). There were about five seconds separating the shot and game clocks, but Michigan State elected to intentionally foul Domask to have more time on a final shot (71-68).

Another successful trip for Domask meant Illinois was only in danger of going to overtime but stout defense from Harmon ensured that was not necessary. Goode came down with the rebound and was intentionally fouled with a chance to put the game away, but a missed one-and-one trip gave the Spartans one last chance. Fortunately for the home team, Michigan Stateʼs last effort did not drop and the Illini walked out victorious.

Illinois moved to 12-3 on the season and 3-1 against Big Ten opponents following the win. Rodgers, Domask and Hawkins all finished with a team-high 15 points while Hawkins (7), Domask (6), Goode (6) and Guerrier (6) had an impressive night on the glass. Hawkins was an extreme defensive standout as well, blocking four shots and grabbing two steals. 

There is a short break before Illinois’ next game when it hosts Maryland at 1 p.m. on Sunday. 

@blountco21