Illinois men’s basketball lands Mercer’s Jake Davis in transfer portal

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
Jake Davis poses for Illini Athletics media photos after transferring from Mercer University.

Illinois men’s basketball secured Jake Davis, a Mercer University transfer, early on Monday. After concluding their season on Saturday against the UConn Huskies, the Illini were quick to make moves in the transfer portal. The freshman guard from Indiana stands at 6-foot-6-inches, weighing in at 210 pounds.

Davis spent his first collegiate year in Macon, Georgia with the Bears and announced via X that he is committed to Illinois for this upcoming season. In his initial season at Mercer, Davis played in a total of 33 games, averaged nine points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game.

Furthermore, Davis shot 39% from behind the arc this season, which will be a massive asset to the Illini next season. His shooting skills and overall versatility are exactly what Illinois needs to continue its success come the 2023-24 season.

Davis’ commitment marks the first athlete the Illini have obtained from the transfer portal. He is a solid addition to the team, especially given the considerable number of players and shooters who will be entering the NBA draft or concluding their time at Illinois.

With recent news that junior forward Dain Dainja will be entering the transfer portal, it is no surprise that Illinois is already working to adjust the team’s roster. Davis will bring youth to the team, and the Illini hope that his athleticism will translate on the court at the Big Ten level.