Illinois brings home Champaign native Kylan Boswell via transfer portal

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics
Champaign native Kylan Boswell poses with a basketball for promotional photos with Illini Athletics.

Champaign native Kylan Boswell is returning home after committing to the University of Illinois. Boswell announced his decision via X on Sunday with the message “I’m back.”

For Champaign-Urbana natives, Boswell is a familiar name. In seventh grade, Boswell showed early flashes of his prowess, hitting a game-winning three to send Urbana Middle School to state. He followed that up with another appearance at state in his eighth-grade season. 

Boswell left the Champaign-Urbana area for high school, where he played at both Centennial High School in California and AZ Compass Prep in Chandler, Arizona. He was the No. 25-ranked prospect in the class of 2022 before joining the University of Arizona. 

Boswell played the last two seasons at Arizona and averaged 9.6 points, 3.6 assists and 1.4 steals over 36 games this past season. His strengths as a pesky defender, playmaker and capable shooter give Illinois a multi-faceted guard to add to their rotation.

Now Boswell returns with a chance to be a hometown hero. Despite being a junior, Boswell will only be 19 when the season starts in November, adding to the youth of the new roster.

Head coach Brad Underwood now has a traditional talented point guard, and a couple of scholarships remaining to fill the roster around the core.

@sahil_mittal24