Another departure for Illinois; Sencire Harris enters portal

Guard Sencire Harris during the second half of Illinois exhibition match against Ottawa on Oct. 20, 2023. The second half concluded the match set against Ottawa 116-65 in favor of Illinois.

Redshirt sophomore guard Sencire Harris entered the portal early Monday morning according to 247 Sports, adding to the list of departing players from last year’s roster. Harris began the year by requesting a rare second-season redshirt, surprising many in the college hoops world.

Harris was known for his defensive intensity, showcasing it early in his career in a Las Vegas tournament where the lockdown defender sparked a comeback against No. 7 UCLA with four points and two steals in nine minutes. In a season full of ups and downs, the guard single-handedly changed the momentum in games, leading full-court presses and getting the crowd engaged.

In 14.5 minutes per game, Harris averaged 3.7 points, 2.1 boards and 0.9 assists while putting up 43/32/20 shooting splits. The decision to redshirt revolved around improving his offensive game, but Illinois fans will now have to see if it paid off while he dons a different uniform.

Harris was the consensus No. 88 player in the class of 2022, recruited out of Canton, Ohio, by Chester Frazier. With the roster turnover matching the craziness of the portal, the two-year guard leaves in search of a new home and gives the coaching staff another scholarship to replenish the team.

@benfader7