Illinois acquires Notre Dame transfer Carey Booth

Photo Courtesy of Rich Barnes/GettyImages
Notre Dame freshman forward Casey Booth goes for a layup in a game against Syracuse University.

Rising sophomore Carey Booth announced on Instagram Tuesday night he has transferred to Illinois men’s basketball from Notre Dame with the message, “Still fighting.”

The 6-foot-10 forward/center averaged 6.4 points and 4.3 rebounds per game during his freshman season, shooting 39.1% from the field. Booth scored in double figures seven times last season and had a season-high 13 rebounds in a Jan. 15 loss to Boston College.

Booth, a former four-star recruit, adds size to an Illinois frontcourt including incoming freshman commits 6-foot-9 Morez Johnson and 6-foot-10 Jason Jakstys. He’ll look to help fill the role left by departing big men Dain Dainja, Amani Hansberry and Coleman Hawkins.

Booth’s style fits Illinois from last year, being a big man who can space the floor and run. As a freshman, he only shot 29.7% from deep but took 3.6 attempts per game. 247 Sports labels Booth as a projectible shooter, joining Hansberry, who showed flashes last year as well. He also enjoys playing with pace, as he joins a team with one of the top fast break offenses in the country in 2024-25.

“I like to play fast,” Booth told On3 in April. “Get the rebound and push the break. My shooting ability opens up everything else for my game.”

Booth is the son of 10-year NBA veteran Calvin Booth, who is currently the general manager of the 2023 NBA Champion Denver Nuggets. The commitment brings him slightly closer to his dad in Denver and brings Illinois frontcourt depth, staying with the 2024 portal theme of adding youth to the program. 

@sahil_mittal24

@benfader7