Illinois’ Marcus Domask enters NBA draft after waiver denied

Angel Saldivar
Graduate student forward Marcus Domask drives toward the basket during a game against Michigan on Jan. 30.

Graduate student Marcus Domask announced via Instagram on Thursday afternoon that he will enter the NBA draft.

Domask applied for a medical hardship waiver to gain another season of NCAA eligibility, arguing that he only played in 10/26 games during his sophomore season due to injury. However, he did not meet the 30% (games played) threshold that the NCAA requires in order to obtain another year of eligibility, leading to his waiver request being denied.

In a statement on social media, Domask said, I came here to play for championships and improve my game proudly, I can say both were a success … At this time, I have exhausted all my possible eligibility in college and will be entering my name in and preparing for the 2024 NBA Draft.

Following four years with the Southern Illinois Salukis, Domask was a priority transfer for Illinois in 2023 after head coach Brad Underwood and the staff acknowledged that they wanted to stock the roster with veterans. The Waupun, Wisconsin native was one of two Saluki transfers to join the Big Ten, starting every game for their new team.

Domask’s scoring translated quickly from the Missouri Valley Conference, scoring 18 points against No. 4 Marquette in just the third game of the year. The graduate student went on to reach double-digit scoring performances in 29 of 38 games this season. 

In addition to his 15.9 points per game, second best for the Illini, Domask averaged a team-high 3.9 assists. His versatility was a factor down the stretch for Illinois, notching just the 10th triple-double in the history of the NCAA tournament, posting a stat line of 12 points, 11 boards and 10 assists against Morehead State. 

Domask has already begun his NBA draft preparation, playing in front of NBA personnel at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament last week. In his first game, Domask dropped 18 points and showcased his stellar shooting, going 3-5 from long range. Domask struggled in his second game, shooting 3-7 from the field en route to nine points. He also grabbed six rebounds in his team’s win, including four on the offensive glass. The 6-foot-6 swingman was also inefficient in his final game at the PIT, only scoring 4 points on 25% shooting.

Domask is not currently projected to be selected in the 2024 NBA draft. However, as an undrafted free agent, look for an NBA team to take a chance on Domask by offering an opportunity to play at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, a two-way contract or a training camp deal.

@sahil_mittal24

@benfader7