No. 11 Illinois men’s tennis set to host No. 1 Ohio State 

Matt Stepp
Sophomore Kenta Miyoshi returns a ball against Duke on Feb. 2.

After winning back-to-back matches this past Friday, No. 11 Illinois men’s tennis is set to play No. 1 Ohio State this Wednesday at the Atkins Tennis Center.

The Illini enter Wednesday on a five-match win streak but will have their work cut out for them against the Buckeyes. Ohio State is 15-0 thus far and has dominated against other squads at the top of the standings. Eight of the Buckeyes’ wins have come against top-25 teams, highlighted by victories over No. 2 TCU (4-3), No. 3 Virginia (7-0) and No. 4 South Carolina (6-1).

Ohio State will be a formidable opponent as Illinois looks to continue its ascent up the rankings — a situation familiar to the home team. The Illini were opposite the Buckeyes thrice last season, but all three meetings ended in losses (6-1, 4-0, 4-0). This gives Illinois a unique opportunity to learn from recent mistakes and use them as fuel to turn the tables this season.

Despite Ohio State’s dominance last season, Illinois is in front of the all-time matchup by a significant margin (58-48-1). Much of the difference comes from a decade-long win streak (1995-2005) where the Illini took 12 straight wins over the Buckeyes, but the script has flipped over the past eight years. Since 2016, Illinois has had only one win over Ohio State in 13 meetings.

As Illinois gears up for this critical matchup, consistency will be key. The team’s recent string of victories proves their ability to consistently perform at a high level, which will be crucial in facing Ohio State. Maintaining focus and intensity throughout the match will be essential if Illinois hopes to pull off an upset against the top-ranked team.

With both teams hungry for victory, fans can expect a fierce battle on the court. Every point will be contested as Illinois looks to assert its dominance and make a statement against Ohio State. Whether they emerge victorious or not, one thing is for certain; the Illini will leave everything on the court showcasing their talent, determination and unwavering commitment.

No. 11 Illinois men’s tennis prepares to take on the challenge of facing No. 1 Ohio State on Wednesday. With a focus on consistency and learning from past experiences, Illinois aims to extend its winning streak and make a statement against the nation’s top team.