Wisconsin hosts No. 26 Illinois men’s tennis’ second meet of weekend

Anne Schmidt
Freshman Tyler Bowers serving to Sophomore Bjorn Swenson and Sophomore Mert Oral. Senior Lucas Horve and Bowers lost against Swenson and Oral 4-6 in doubles.

No. 26 Illinois mens tennis heads to Madison, Wisconsin to play against the Wisconsin Badgers this Sunday. To start the weekend, the Illini topped the No. 61 Nebraska Cornhuskers 4-2 in Lincoln, Nebraska. It was a much-needed victory for Illinois after dropping its previous three matches.

Illinois has a 65-30 all-time record over Wisconsin, which is currently on a seven-match losing streak and most recently suffered a 5-2 loss to No. 64 Northwestern. Wisconsins last win was a 5-2 victory over Butler in late February, which doubles as the only win of its 1-16 season record.

Were definitely trying to get back on track, said assistant coach Tim Kopinski ahead of Fridays match against Nebraska.

The Illini wasted no time getting back on track, winning four of five singles matches that were played to completion. No. 34 senior Hunter Heck defended court one in a pair of uncontested 6-1 sets while senior Alex Petrov took down No. 109 Calvin Mueller in a three-set thriller on court two (7-5, 6-3, 6-4). Petrovs upset was also the clinching point for Illinois thanks to a pair of straight-set wins from juniors William Mroz (7-6 (5), 6-3) and Mathis Debru (7-5, 6-2).

As Illinois strides into more and more Big Ten play, its recent triumph serves as a crucial point in terms of momentum. With each victory, they accumulate the energy and confidence to propel them forward. 

The team is trained with a blend of skill, strategy and teamwork, so Illinois enters each match with unwavering focus and a hunger for success. The team keeps each other accountable and all have the same goals, creating a strong support system within itself.

When everyone has that same drive and that same goal, it makes working together a lot easier,” said graduate student Oliver Okonkwo.

Illinois mens tennis is set to maintain its momentum and extend its newfound winning streak this Sunday. Encouraged by its recent win and unwavering determination, the team is ready to continue on that track of success. 

Following its match with Wisconsin, Illinois is heading home to play Northwestern next Saturday.