Illinois women’s tennis prepares to kick off Big Ten play with home matches versus Minnesota, Wisconsin

Freshman+Megan+Heuser+celebrates+with+her+doubles+partner+sophomore+Kate+Duong+during+their+match+against+Missouri+on+Feb.+13.+The+Illini+will+be+home+for+their+next+two+games+against+Minnesota+on+Friday+and+Wisconsin+on+Sunday.+

Brigida Dockus

Freshman Megan Heuser celebrates with her doubles partner sophomore Kate Duong during their match against Missouri on Feb. 13. The Illini will be home for their next two games against Minnesota on Friday and Wisconsin on Sunday.

By James Kim, Assistant Sports Editor

Illinois women’s tennis prepares for Big Ten conference play this weekend, facing off against Minnesota and Wisconsin on Friday and Sunday, respectively. The Illini will return home for both matches after recently facing difficulties in away matches.

It’s been just under two weeks since the team traveled to Lawrence, Kansas and Norman, Oklahoma, where they endured their toughest weekend of the season.

Against the Jayhawks and the No. 3 Sooners, the Illini suffered a winless weekend, and were shut out by a combined 0-8 score between the two opponents. Illinois’ road form brought down their record to 1-5 overall with their key to continued success away from home yet to be found.

It really is a story of black and white when looking at Illinois. Despite their struggles playing on unfamiliar courts, the Illini have been an unstoppable force at home. With a 6-0 record at Atkins Tennis Center, the team has been rock solid, although Friday will provide Illinois with its strongest home opponents thus far. 

Minnesota (12-3) has been no stranger to winning this season. The Illini will need their best stuff to earn a victory, but a 1-0 start to Big Ten play would be a welcome morale booster as they look to end their two-game losing streak. Minnesota has already begun Big Ten play, taking down Iowa (4-7) by a 6-1 scoreline. 

Friday will also see the return of former Illini Emilee Duong, who graduated from the program last year, spending a successful four years playing for Illinois. She accumulated a 53-38 overall record in singles and a 45-44 overall record in doubles while at Illinois. However, this time around, Duong, now a graduate student at Minnesota, will be coming to Atkins to compete against her former teammates. 

Historically, Illinois has gotten the better of Minnesota more times than not. Head to head, the Illini lead the Golden Gophers 19-4, and are currently on a 10-game winning streak. Last year, Illinois beat Minnesota 4-3 in Minneapolis. The Golden Gophers will be eager to earn their first win against the Illini since 2007.

Big Ten play continues for Illinois on Sunday as the team gets set to face Wisconsin. The Badgers, who currently own a 9-5 overall record, are off to a positive start in conference play. Wisconsin swept a 5-6 Rutgers team by a 4-0 scoreline on Tuesday and will prove a worthy opponent for Illinois. 

Illinois takes the all-time head-to-head record with 21 wins to Wisconsin’s four. However, the Badgers got the better of the Illini twice last year, defeating them in both Urbana and Madison by 4-3 scorelines. Sunday provides Illinois the opportunity to end the losing streak and add a valuable conference win to its belt.

This is shaping up to be an exciting weekend for the Illini freshman, who are yet to get a taste of Big Ten tennis. The freshmen, which include Megan Heuser, Kida Ferrari, and Kasia Treiber, have all been welcome additions to the ranks of the women’s tennis program this season, as all three have proven they are starter level.

This weekend will also see the Illini’s first home matches in the month of March. The team will be looking to defend their six game unbeaten streak at Atkins against two formidable Big Ten opponents. Conference play, which has been looming in the horizon for quite some time now, is finally upon the Illini, and it all kicks off at 4 p.m. on Friday against Minnesota.

@james_kim15