Illinois women’s basketball welcomes UC Riverside to Champaign to conclude their four-game home stand

Sydney Laput

Guard Jada Peebles runs around a Southern Illinois University Edwardsville defender on Nov. 18 at State Farm Center. Illinois welcomes UC Riverside to Champaign for their game this afternoon.

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor

After a disappointing loss in their last outing, Illinois women’s basketball is back in action on Sunday at the State Farm Center against the UC Riverside Highlanders.

The Illini come into this matchup with a 2-1 record, with wins against North Carolina Central and Miami of Ohio. Their loss came by a score of 71-62 on Thursday against the SIU Edwardsville Cougars, despite 17 points from sophomore guard Aaliyah Nye.

Illinois’ opponents for the afternoon, UC Riverside, are 2-1 on the year so far. This is the first time the two schools have met in women’s basketball. UC Riverside is coming off back-to-back wins against Pacific and Californian Luteran after their season-opening loss to California Baptist.

The Highlanders three lead players will be key to a successful game plan during the Sunday matinee. Senior guard Keilanei Cooper leads the team averaging 14.3 points per game, while redshirt junior forward Daphne Gnago will be tough on the boards, as she collects 6.6 rebounds per game. 

After Thursday’s game, head coach Nancy Fahey knows what she wanted out of her team during practice this week. If Illinois wants their third win of the season, they’ll have to earn it with intensity for all 40 minutes. 

“Competing in practice,” Fahey said. “So that the competition and intensity will be different next time we step out on the court.”

Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. on the B1G+ network, as the Illini faithful will be hoping for a win before the team heads on the road for the Daytona Beach Invitational. 

@WillPayne33