Mississippi State transfer Brown-Hagger commits for women’s basketball

Photo Courtesy of Mississippi State Athletics
Freshmen guard Jasmine Brown-Hagger celebrates advancing to the second round of the WBIT with her teammates.

Jasmine Brown-Hagger became the first incoming transfer for the women’s basketball program on Friday, returning to play in her home state. The rising sophomore was the No. 54 recruit in ESPN’s HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings out of Shorewood, Illinois.

Coming out of Example Academy, Brown-Hagger joined two other top-100 players at Mississippi State University in her freshman season and struggled to find playing time throughout the year. She averaged 2.1 points, 1.5 boards and 0.6 assists in 8.7 minutes per game.

As she returns home, she joins a squad returning five of their top six guards from 2023-24. While Brown-Hagger will have to work to crack the rotation in her initial season in Champaign, she joins a couple of talented young guards who look like the future of Illinois hoops.

Rising sophomores Gretchen Dolan, Cori Allen and the new Illini transfer will get the opportunity for one more year under the leadership of their upperclassmen, senior Adalia McKenzie and fifth years Genesis Bryant and Makira Cook. Head coach Shauna Green will now divert attention to the front court to fill a role the Illini lacked last season.

@benfader7