No. 22 Illinois women’s gymnastics suffers narrow loss at Nebraska

James Hoeck
All-Around senior Mia Takekawa steps to the beam facing off against Michigan State on Feb. 27 2023. The match ended in a loss for the Illini.

Illinois women’s gymnastics suffered its second loss of the season in a meet with Nebraska, bringing its overall season record to 5-2. The Illini fell short by only 0.475 points (196.875-196.400).

Graduate student all-around Mia Takekawa has increased hopes for regionals and nationals this season. Past experience as an individual qualifier makes Takekawa wish that the team as a whole can have a similar result. However, regardless of the outcome, Takekawa wants to take it all in this year and not take anything for granted.

“Goal-wise, I really, really want this team to make it to day two of regionals and be on that qualified to nationals,” Takekawa said. “Me and my other fellow fifth year went to nationals as individuals, so I think being able to see that environment and really want that for our whole team is one of the biggest goals this year. Personally, I just want to be able to enjoy every moment.”

The Illini had a slight edge over the Huskers on beam (49.000-48.975) with Takekawa leading the way (9.900). On the vault, the Illini scored 48.925 overall, but the Huskers answered with 49.225 to add separation. Sophomore Arielle Ward finished third in the vault with a score of 9.850. The floor also saw Nebraska with a slight edge over Illinois (49.425-49.275) despite senior Abby Mueller tying for first with an excellent score of 9.950. Senior Amelia Knight showed out on the beam and was the highest-scoring Illini (9.925), good enough for a tie in first place. Illinois totaled 49.200 in the event, but that was not enough to come out on top. The gradual accumulation of a lead ended with Illinois suffering a 0.475-point loss (196.875-196.400).

Through good and bad, the team falls back on one another. Remaining connected is of utmost importance to Takekawa. Through relaxing times such as winter break and busy times such as the start of the semester, making an effort to connect outside of practice is key.

“I think especially over winter break, it’s nice to be able to hang out with the team … outside of gymnastics outside of practice,” Takekawa said. “Win or lose, whatever the outcome of a meet is, to be able to keep our relationships really close, I think, has been really helpful. Maintaining those relationships even when we are a little busier now that school has started, I think, is really important. Everything outside of gymnastics is just as important.”

Although Illinois continues to improve every day, the rest of the conference is trying to maintain pace. Takekawa has noticed that everyone is trending upward but has no fear of falling behind.

“We’ve come up strong out of the gates, and I think the Big Ten conference is really rising up every school, so we’re hoping to rise up to the challenge,” Takekawa said. “We’re going to be a really confident and capable team this year.”

Illinois women’s gymnastics will next be competing against No. 11 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, at 6 p.m. on Jan. 29.