Illinois soccer returns to Champaign to face No. 12 Wisconsin

Eric Chiang
Junior Abby Lynch fights for the ball on Sept. 24. Illinois will be facing off against Wisconsin tonight.

After two weeks on the road, Illinois soccer will be returning to Champaign to play No. 12 Wisconsin on Thursday, who have a 75% win percentage over the course of the season so far. This will be the Illini’s toughest test of the season to date, who will hope to bounce back after falling to two consecutive losses against the Ohio State Buckeyes and Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Illini lost 3-1 and were dominated by a good Gopher side their last time out, but the deficit was kept respectable courtesy of a great performance from senior shot stopper Julia Cili. She continues to be one of the top performers for Illinois this year with six saves out of nine shots on target against Minnesota, proving herself as one of the top goalkeepers in the Big Ten.

Along with Cili, sophomore midfielder Lia Howard has emerged as one of Illinois’ most important players over the past few weeks, with two goals in her last two games. The Massapequa native will hope to continue her purple patch of scoring against one of the best sides in the country. Her performances of late have caused a head-scratcher for head coach Janet Rayfield, who makes the tough decision regarding her spot in the starting lineup.

Aiming to end their losing streak, the Illini must now welcome a highly ranked Badgers side to Demirjian Park. The two sides played out a goalless draw in their last encounter, which was held this time last year in Madison. Their last matchup in Champaign ended in a 1-1 draw, on Oct. 8, 2021. Historically, the Illini trail in the all-time series against the Badgers with a 11-12-6 record.

The Badgers have impressed in their conference this season, winning their last three games against Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern — a run the Illini will look to end. To do that, they will have to limit in-form graduate forward Emma Jaskaniec, who has scored three goals in her last two games, two of which came last Thursday in a 2-1 win against the Northwestern Wildcats. She is the Badgers’ top scorer with seven goals for the season.

Senior midfielder Aryssa Mahrt has also emerged as one of the Badgers’ top players this season, with four goals and three assists in 14 appearances. The Illini will have to watch out, because if they prevent Jaskaniec from playing her game, Mahrt is more than capable of stepping up for the Badgers.

Illinois (5-5-3 overall, 1-3-2 conference) will kick off against No. 12 Wisconsin (9-2-3 overall, 4-1-1 conference) at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Champaign. The Illini have a chance to turn their season around and end their losing streak with an upset over the Badgers, bringing the Badger’s excellent run to an end.

@morrar_mazen