Big seventh inning in game 3 helps softball avoid sweep

Eric Chiang
Aisyn Caryl makes a big catch in the outfield at Eichelberger Field in Urbana during a game against Southern Illinois.

Illinois softball (20-28, 6-13) avoided a sweep at the hands of red-hot Ohio State on Sunday. As the season winds down, Illinois is trying to stay afloat in the Big Ten standings so the team can qualify for the conference tournament, which only hosts 12 of the 14 teams. 

Senior pitcher Tori McQueen had another six-inning performance in game one of the series on Friday. This was the 15th time McQueen has pitched six or more innings this year.

Despite McQueen’s complete game, Illinois lost 3-1. Head coach Tyra Perry’s team only had four hits in the contest.

Illinois struck first in the loss, with graduate student outfielder Kelly Ryono driving in senior infielder Megan Ward to open the scoring in the top of the second. The lead did not last long as Ohio State struck back in the bottom of the second with two runs. 

The Buckeyes got one more run in the fifth, and despite the Illini loading the bases in the bottom of the seventh, they could not get enough out of the tank to tie up the game.

Game two on Saturday started off all Illinois with a five-run lead after the first inning. Ryono began the first-inning rally with a double off the wall. Junior utility player Paige Berkmeyer followed up Ryono’s efforts by hitting a two-run home run before senior utility player Abby Ryniec extended the early lead by blasting a three-run homer, putting Illinois up 5-0.

Ohio State responded to the Illinois outburst with 13 straight runs, including a nine-spot in the fourth frame. The game ended in five innings via mercy rule in a 13-5 Buckeye triumph.

Illinois was facing a sweep heading into game threebut responded. McQueen was given the nod to start the game but would only last 3.1 innings before being relieved by junior pitcher Lauren Wiles.

Knotted up entering the final frame, Illinois secured the win during a five-run seventh inning. With two outs and nobody on, six batters reached base in a row, ignited by a single from freshman third baseman Adisyn Caryl. Ryono capped the rally with a bases-clearing double. 

Illinois avoided the sweep during game three by a final score of 11-6. Illinois finishes out the regular season May 3 through May 5 at home against Iowa.