Freshman Bethany Mercer dives into new chapter

Photo courtesy of Illini Athletics
Freshman Bethany Mercer flips into the pool on Oct. 7, during the Orange and Blue meet.

The move from high school student-athlete to collegiate student-athlete is difficult on paper. However, for freshman diver Bethany Mercer, the transition was not as bad as envisioned.

“I was honestly expecting it to be harder to transition,” Mercer said.  “I focused more on diving in high school, but I was also in band and I did a lot of other clubs. It’s not uptight or anything, definitely a fun atmosphere.”

Early morning practices are a mainstay for Illinois swim and dive, with Mercer’s days beginning with a mix of lifting and training with the team. The Illini’s carefully crafted regiment is one reason why Mercer is a fan of the coaching staff.

In particular, Mercer and head diving coach Tricia Grant have already formed an especially close bond. Mercer expressed her gratitude to Grant, who is always there to offer encouraging words when needed and understands her in a way thought impossible.

“The coaching is definitely amazing here,” Mercer said. “Tricia is an amazing coach. I think our personalities work really well together and we just understand each other. Whenever I get stressed, she’s an amazing person to talk to and always makes me feel more calm.” 

Mercer also shared some of her meet traditions that she always does either before or during meets. 

“I listen to music, and during the meets, when I get too in my head, I always bring my coloring book, so I always sit and color and listen to music to help,” Mercer said. “‘Lose Yourself’ by Eminem — I always listen to that one.”

The impending Big Ten expansion, an ever-present thought for most student-athletes, is something Mercer is looking forward to. The social aspect of meets greatly appeals to Mercer, so the opportunity to encounter other student-athletes, on top of increased competition, is at the heart of it all.

“I like to meet new people at meets; it’s one of my favorite parts of competing, so it’ll be nice,” Mercer said. “Having the experience to go against bigger schools has definitely motivated me. It’s fun to meet people and see all of the people I’ve looked up to from my whole diving career and now be able to compete with them.”

The Illini are especially prepared for the Big Ten championship this February, with Mercer particularly feeling right at home at the host site.

“We go to Purdue pretty much once a week to practice platform,” Mercer said. “It’s definitely our second home pool.”

Heading into the second half of her first season, Mercer is right where she always wanted to be, on top of feeling all the more confident in her decision to pursue diving.

“I always wanted to be a college athlete,” Mercer said. “I would tell myself I made the right decision switching from gymnastics to diving and to always have fun.”