A weekend of champions for Illinois women’s track and field 

After a solid performance by Illinois women’s track and field in California at the Mt. SAC Relays last weekend, Illinois looked to keep their momentum as they approached more opportunities for success at the Drake Relays. 

This past weekend, Illinois traveled to Des Moines, Iowa. The women competed in the Drake Relays on Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27. Only a small number of Illini were competing, as the team only took their pole vaulters and hammer throwers.

With Illinois all over the leaderboards, one athlete took the gold. Graduate student Amber Simpson won the champion division hammer throw. Simpson threw a 66.29-meter toss to put her on top of the podium.

“I feel really good. It was my first time at this meet, and I was competing against a lot of good girls,” Simpson expressed when placing first. “I feel great about how it went, and it was a good step in the right direction for the rest of my season to come.”

As a graduate student, this is Simpsons last year competitively throwing at Illinois. Despite it being her first visit to the Drake Relays, she approached it like any other weekend. 

“I prepared the same way I prepare for every meet,” Simpson said. “I’ve been working closely with my coach, getting our practices in and doing everything how we are supposed to be, that’s it really.”

For Simpson, the most important way to prepare for a meet is to plan ahead.

“Having a good strong mental and taking time to think about how I want to compete, and good to be there to support my teammates,” Simpson noted.

Some of these teammates competed at the Drake Relays, including sophomore Olivia Campbell, who placed eighth in the hammer throw with a 56.38-meter toss.

Junior Tori Thomas placed second in the champion division pole vault with a 4.37-meter vault that matched her season-best vault. She holds the program’s second-best outdoor vault which she cleared earlier in the season at the annual Gary Wieneke Memorial meet. 

Some honorable mentions from this weekend’s meet include sophomore Mia Morello placing eighth in the champion division with a 4.07-meter vault and junior Kelsey Rothas placing fifth in the collegiate division with a 3.92-meter vault.

Illinois women’s track will continue its season next weekend on home turf, when they host the Fighting Illini Tune-Up on Saturday, May 4 at Demirjian Park in Champaign, Illinois.