Illinois volleyball looks for a win against Rutgers after 3 straight losses

Illinois volleyball (7-10,2-5) comes back home Sunday to take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (9-8, 1-6). Illinois is looking to get back in the win column after a three-game skid that saw it lose to No. 15 Purdue, No. 1 Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Last time out, senior outside hitter Raina Terry had a career-high 28 kills versus Ohio State. This unfortunately was not enough for the Illini to beat the Buckeyes, but Terry is a player to keep an eye on when on the court.

Terry currently ranks in the top 10 in kills per set, landing at the No. 7 spot in this category. Terry averages 4.62 kills per set with a total of 282 kills on the year.

The last time on the court for Rutgers was versus No. 1 Wisconsin. Rutgers lost in straight sets to Wisconsin while being dominated in each set. Rutgers only put up four points in the second set, while breaking double digits in the other two sets.

Sophomore outside hitter Taylor Humphrey led the Scarlet Knights in kills with six in the match. Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Alisa Kinkela led the Scarlet Knights in attacks with 26.

The Illini have won 14 straight against the Scarlet Knights, the last time both teams faced each other Illinois came out on top in four sets. Terry put up 19 kills in that match. Rutgers took the opening set but dropped the following three for an Illini win. The all-time series between these two schools shows Illinois leads the series 14-1.

In six of these 14 games, the Illini won the game in straight sets. Head coach Chris Tamas has never lost to the Scarlet Knights during his tenure, posting a perfect 7-0 record. While hosting the Scarlet Knights at Huff Hall, the Illini are undefeated in both matches and sets.

The Illini are heading into this game ranked No. 11 in the Big Ten while the Scarlet Knights are ranked No. 12. Both teams are looking to get back in the win column as both teams are heading into Huff Hall with losses in their previous matchups.

The match begins at 1 p.m. Sunday at Huff Hall. The game can be viewed on Big Ten Plus, or a radio broadcast be found on WDWS 1400 AM and 93.9 FM.

@EBrewer1172