Illinois volleyball rebounds with straight set win over Iowa

Matt Stepp
Graduate student middle blocker Kennedy Colins leads the Fighting Illini out of the locker room before the game against the Wildcats on Wednesday.

Illinois volleyball was victorious on Friday night in a sweeping victory against the Hawkeyes.

Head coach Chris Tamas holds an undefeated record versus Iowa, and the Illini advance to 14-11 with the win, 9-6 in conference play. Iowa falls to 8-19, still winless against Big Ten opponents.

Leaders for the Illini in tonight’s match were senior outside hitter Raina Terry with 15 kills, fifth-year senior outside hitter Jessica Nunge with 12 and graduate middle blocker Kennedy Collins with 10. Terry and junior libero Caroline Barnes each recorded double-digit digs with the Illini allowing only 29 kills from the Hawkeyes. Illinois recorded 47 total and hit an efficient .311 in the match.

The Illini racked up a 6-0 scoring run to take an early 9-4 lead in the first set. Iowa took a timeout and responded with a 5-0 run to tie the score at 10. A kill from freshman middle blocker Cari Bohm helped the Illini to a 16-12 lead and forced Iowa’s final timeout of the set. Illinois finished out the set with a Nunge kill and a tip from Terry to win 25-20 in the first.

Terry dominated from the service line, hitting back-to-back aces to give the Illini a 10-4 advantage in the second set. Sophomore setter Brooke Mosher assisted junior outside hitter Kayla Burbage on a kill that grew the Illini lead to 15-10, and Terry terminated the ball and forced a timeout from the Hawkeyes with Illinois up by seven. Recording her fourth ace of the match, Terry scored from the service line giving the Illini a 20-12 lead after the timeout. Terry moves up in the rankings for career service aces, sitting fourth in Illinois volleyball history with 157 aces. Iowa strung together a 3-0 run, but Illinois finished the set with four straight points featuring a Bohm block to win 25-16 in the second set.

Finishing strong in the third set, Terry and Burbage spiked the ball to find a 9-5 lead early in the third. Barnes forced a Hawkeye timeout with her service ace putting Illinois up 14-7. Consecutive kills from Nunge formed an Illini 3-0 run and double-digit lead to force an Iowa timeout. Collins took over at the service line with three aces in a row, and Bohm killed the ball at set point to finish the sweep and take the third set 25-13.

Illinois volleyball continues west to face No. 1 ranked Nebraska on Sunday afternoon. The match will be streamed on Big Ten + with the first serve at 2 p.m.