Illinois finishes one, two and three in Rio’s 1,500 meters

Daily Illini File Photo

Illinois’ Tatyana McFadden (11) shoots the ball during the wheelchair basketball game against Chicago Sky for the Illini Classic Wheelchair Basketball Tournament that was held in the ARC on Saturday, November 7, 2009.

By Ryan Wilson, staff writer

Team USA pulled out the brooms in the women’s 1,500 meters final in the Rio Paralympics.

More specifically, Illinois para-athletes finished in gold, silver and bronze.

Tatyana McFadden, Amanda McGrory and Chelsea McClammer grabbed first, second and third, respectively.

McFadden, in her third event of this year’s games, finished with a time of 3 minutes, 22.50 seconds. McGrory had a 3:22.61 time and McClammer had a personal best of 3:22.67 for their first medals in Rio.

McFadden wins her third medal — second gold — in three events in this year’s Paralympics. She now has 15 medals in her Paralympic career, with five gold.

She has four events remaining, and her pursuit of victory continues tomorrow in the women’s 5,000 meters. McGrory and McClammer will compete in the same event in a separate heat than McFadden.

If they all advance to the finals, they could pull off another sweep.

@32Ryno