Sophomore Beasley starts off the season on the right foot

Ethan Scholl

Brandi Beasley defends the opposing guard in Illinois’ win over Chicago State on November 15th.

By Miles Power-Huang, Staff writer

While the season has just begun for the Illinois women’s basketball team, first- year head coach Nancy Fahey has already created an environment that her players enjoy.

Early on, sophomore guard Brandi Beasley — a member of the 2017 Big Ten conference all-freshman team — is narrowly leading the team in scoring, averaging 13 points per game.

Beasley has relished her role as the starting point guard, and embraces the responsibility that comes with it.

“I’m trying to become more of a leader, and trying to step into that position,” Beasley said. “Me being the point guard, she’s (Fahey) pushing me to be more of a leader.”

Beasley praised coach Fahey’s system, and feels that it has allowed her to excel due to the space she has to create offense.

“It’s very different from last year. I have the ball in my hands a lot so I’m able to create,” Beasley said. “It’s just (a) more open court now, so it’s a lot easier to create shots and create shots for my teammates.”

While things have been going well on the court, Beasley is even more impressed with what Fahey has done off the court. A new coach always faces the challenge of getting to know their new players, but Fahey has mastered that already, according to Beasley, who feels comfortable talking with her coach about anything.

“The tempo is a lot higher. She’s on us a lot tougher than we had in the past, and I think she just really pushes us to be as disciplined as we can and to be the best people that we can,” Beasley said. “She cares about us on and off the court. Being able to go to her about personal things as well as basketball helps us.”

Fahey in turn praised Beasley and her ability. Running a fast-paced offense can be difficult, but Fahey feels Beasley’s skill set fits very well, and wants her to think less and just play the game.

“She’s a weapon,” Fahey said. “She’s so explosive at times. I think when we first got here there was a lot of thinking going on and now (it’s) back to, ‘Let’s play the game and keep this simple.’”

As her first season has progressed, Fahey feels that getting to know not only Beasley, but each one of her players has been a pleasant experience.

“It’s been a joy,” Fahey said. “The one thing that I’m really proud of is there (is) really good people on this team.”

Looking ahead, Illinois takes on Virginia Tech on Thursday night as part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

The Hokies come into the game with a 5-2 record, but has yet to play a true road game.

Although the Illini have started 5-3, Fahey knows there is room for improvement on both ends of the floor.

“We’re finding ourselves defensively right now,” Fahey said. “Offensively we’re still putting some pieces together. I’ll be honest, we’re not putting enough points on the board and I’m getting a better clue of what we need to do offensively.”

Something that could be troubling Fahey is that her team is averaging 66.6 points per game, well below her team at Washington last season.

Regardless of statistics, Fahey’s players feel comfortable with their coach on an off the court, which could be the first step in the resurgence of Illini women’s basketball.