Illini add Dalevon Campbell to class of 2019

By Alec Busse, Staff Writer

On Friday, Illinois added Missouri City, Texas, wide receiver Dalevon Campbell to their 2019 recruiting class.

Campbell could be an asset for the Illini quarterbacks, as he measures in at 6-foot-4-inches and 200 pounds. In addition to his size, Campbell has some elite speed: He runs a 100-meter dash around 10.7 seconds.

As a senior at Fort Bend Marshall, Campbell brought in 21 catches for 545 yards and seven touchdowns under an inexperienced quarterback until week six. 

Campbell also received offers from Tulsa and a track offer from Houston. According to 247sports.com, Friday every member of the Illini coaching staff was in St. Louis for a satellite camp at Lindenwold University, except wide receiver coach Andrew Hayes-Stoker. 

Since Campbell committed to Illinois late, he is potentially eligible for a blue shirt. This means Campbell would arrive this summer for training camp and would be put on scholarship as the season begins. His scholarship would count to the 25 Illinois is allowed for the 2020 recruiting class.

Campbell’s commitment adds depth to a thin Illini wide receiver group. Campbell will have an opportunity to compete for an important role in training camp. The lack of proven wide receivers gives Campbell a chance to receive a lot of reps this fall when the season begins against Akron on August 31.

@alec_busse