Illini hope to bounce back at Cypress Point Classic

Photo courtesy of Illinois Athletics

Senior Michael Feagles follows the ball after a drive. Feagles will look to build on his success from last season and continue the program’s success.

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer

This weekend Illinois will travel to Pebble Beach, California for the Cypress Point Classic, a match-play style tournament hosted by Stanford University. The Illini have never participated in this tournament before, according to the schedules on fightingillini.com, going back to the 1999-2000 season.

From Monday through Tuesday at the Cypress Point Club, Illinois will compete against Stanford, Southern California, Alabama, Duke, Georgia Tech, UCLA and California. None of these teams are ranked, according to the latest Golf Coaches Association of America’s Bushnell Golfweek Coaches Poll.

The former No. 19 Southern California, No. 21 Stanford, and No. 22 Illinois all dropped out of the top-25 after struggling last weekend.

While all unranked, the teams still received votes on the GCAA coaches poll. However, if each team receiving votes were ranked, they would be No. 29 Stanford, No. 31 UCLA, No. 33 USC and No. 36 Illinois and California.

The course for this tournament is prestigious, and, according to TaylorMade Golf Company’s Top-100 golf courses website, Cypress Point is the No. 1 golf course in the world. Also, in Golf Digest’s top-100 U.S. golf courses, Cypress Point is No. 3.

During the team’s last competition at the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational in Windermere, Florida, a suburb of Orlando, the Illini placed 11 out of 15. The University of Central Florida and West Virginia hosted the event and placed first and 15th, respectively. The Illini finished 17 strokes above-par on a 72-par course with a team score of 881.

The Illini look to bounce back after finishing in the bottom half of the field during their last outing.

@jonahap2