Former Illinois defensive lineman Oluwole Betiku Jr. signs as undrafted free agent

Jonathan Bonaguro

Illinois lineman Oluwole Betiku Jr. tackles Akron quarterback Kato Nelson on Aug. 31 at Memorial Stadium. The Illini won the game, 42-3.

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor

The New York Giants have signed former Illini defensive lineman Oluwole Betiku Jr. as an undrafted free agent. The announcement was made on Tuesday. 

New York Giants on Twitter: “Giants officially announce 10 free agent signings among roster movesRead ⤵️ / Twitter”

Giants officially announce 10 free agent signings among roster movesRead ⤵️

Betiku joined Illinois in 2019 after spending three seasons at the University of Southern California. He made nine starts for the Illini in the fall, racking up 36 tackles, 13 going for a loss of yards, seven quarterback hurries, two fumble recoveries and was named to the All-Big Ten third team by the media. The Lagos, Nigeria, native ended the year with nine sacks, tied for the seventh-most in Illinois single-season history, and finished second in the Big Ten and 11th in the nation with 0.90 sacks per game.

His career-high 3.5 sacks against University of Connecticut on Sept. 7 is the fifth-most in a single game in Illinois history.

@JacksonJanes3