Illinois sets up for last home series of season against Ohio State  

Allende Miglietta

The Illinois softball team heads off the field after a game against Minnesota March 28. The Illini will face Ohio State at Eichelberger Field for their last home series of the season this weekend.

By Allende Miglietta, Staff Writer

There are two four-game series left in the regular season for the Illini. The team is ready to put their all into these eight games, showing their opponents that they didn’t come to play. This upcoming weekend, Illinois will face Ohio State at Eichelberger Field for their last home series of the season. 

The Illini are ready to go into this series, not as individual players on a team but as a team working together in the fight. Sophomore Gabi Robles mentions a motto of “leaning on each other and choosing us, playing our game.” With each player carrying this mindset, the 22-14 Illini are set to work cohesively as they excel and focus their competitive excellence toward outperforming the 18-17 Buckeyes. 

“One thing that we really say with our team is just ‘doing this for the person next to you,’” Robles said. “So, leaning on each other, kind of just getting out of ourselves and doing it for the team and each other. Staying calm under pressure situations and leaning on each other in those kinds of situations is what is going to help us the most.”

Working toward where they are right now has had its obstacles, but through constant progress and persistence, the possibilities are endless. These next two series aren’t the end for the Illini’s 2021 season. The team strives to make it to NCAA Regionals, Super Regionals and the Women’s College World Series.

Aiming high, the Illini are mentally and physically prepared to meet their own expectations. Everyone can feel how much each of their teammates wants to win and exceed in their game. 

“Mentally, I feel like we’re better than ever. We’re growing each weekend as a team,” Robles said. “Moving forward, we just have to keep playing our game and having fun with it. I’m really excited to see what postseason and these next couple of weekends have for us.”

With players such as juniors Avrey Steiner and Kailee Powell, who lead the Illini in multiple batting categories, the Illini have created an exceptional team. Steiner leads with a batting average of .357 with 46 hits. While Powell is leading the Illini in on-base percentages with .419, slugging percentages of .564% and four home runs. 

Sophomore Delaney Rummell was awarded the Louisville Slugger/NFCA Player of the Week and Big Ten Co-Player of the Week after her outstanding performance against Purdue April 16-18. Rummell went 9-for-12 with 10 RBIs, a home run, three doubles and two runs scored in the four-game series.

Junior pitcher Sydney Sickels was the two-time Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after her dominant performances against Penn State  and Wisconsin. During game two of the doubleheader against Penn State March 13, Sickels tossed a no-hitter while pitching a complete game, striking out 10 batters, allowing one run and walking none. She threw two complete-game shutouts against Wisconsin on April 2 and April 4, recording 12 strikeouts in both appearances and throwing a one-hitter in the April 4 matchup. 

“(We’re) just taking advantage of each opportunity we get to get on the field with each other,” Robles said. “We keep saying that this team is special and the connection that we have with each other. So just embracing these last couple of weeks we have with each other is going to be special.”

Last year, with a shortened season, the Illini had several opportunities stripped from them. But the team isn’t holding anything back as they continuously strive for that competitive excellence. They know they’re exceptional, and in working together as a successful unit, they’re ready to bring their A-game. 

This weekend, Illinois is back at its home field and ready to work. The four-game series against Ohio State will begin Friday, with first pitch scheduled for 2 p.m. central time on Big Ten Network +. 

The teams will play doubleheaders Friday and Saturday. After a 2 p.m. start Friday, game two will start at 4:30 p.m. The Illini will close out their home campaign with games 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

“(I hope the Buckeyes) come ready to play because we’re going to play our game,” Robles said. “Play their game, and we’ll play our game.”

@allendeauguste