Illinois to finish off exhibition slate against Notre Dame

Photo Courtesy of Craig Pessman/Fighting Illini Athletics

Players on the Illinois soccer team huddle during a game against Iowa at the B1G Regional Weekend on April 8. The Illini will finish off their preseason exhibition slate against Notre Dame.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

The second and final exhibition of preseason for Illinois soccer will be against Atlantic Coast Conference powerhouse Notre Dame. 

While the Fighting Irish have fallen in finishing as one of the top teams in the ACC the last couple of seasons, they still have a high track record of making the NCAA tournament consistently. The last time Notre Dame went all the way and became champions was in 2010.  

Notre Dame’s first exhibition match was earlier this week against Big Ten foe Ohio State. The Fighting Irish came back to win 3-2 after scoring two goals in the last 20 minutes of the game.  

Illinois’ first preseason match saw them win 1-0 against Eastern Illinois. Makala Woods scored the lone goal of the game in the 34th minute after coming on as a substitute for the second of three 30-minute halves. 

Coming up next for Illinois, it will look ahead to begin its regular season with several nonconference matchups, starting with Mizzou on the road on Aug. 19. 

After Saturday’s game, Illinois Athletics will host a movie night on Demirjian Park’s field at 5:30 p.m. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” will play on the big screen with an Illini Popcorn Bucket giveaway for the first 500 people in attendance for the match. 

Both the game and movie night will be free admission, and the kickoff will start at 3 p.m. There will be no stream available, but live stats will be posted here

@AngelleCortes