Big Ten programs react to Illinois at Media Days

Lovie Smith speaking at the conference floor of the Hilton for Big Ten Media Days on Thursday

By Miles Powers-Huang, Staff Writer

July 19, 2019

Although some Illini fans are losing patience with the Lovie Smith regime, the Illinois head coach said this year’s roster is his strongest yet, and around the conference, Illinois’ improvements haven't gone unnoticed. “(Last season) their o-line was young,” said Nebraska defensive lineman Kh...

Illini optimistic about defense in 2019

Junior Nate Hobbs answers questions at Big Ten Football Media Days in Chicago Thursday.

By Jared Farmer, Staff Writer

July 19, 2019

A wise man once said this: "Defense wins championships." Even among bottom-rung teams, including Illinois, defense was a hot topic at this year's Big Ten Football Media Days. And after recording the poorest defensive performances in the Big Ten last season — and one of the worst in program history ...

Big Ten Media Days: Style of offense is its own battle

Sophomore wide receiver Ricky Smalling goes up for a catch in the game against Indiana at Memorial Stadium on Nov. 11, 2017. Smalling looks to highlight the Illinois offense this season as it switches to a spread style. Photo by: Quinten Shaw

By Miles Powers-Huang, Assistant Sports Editor

July 26, 2018

Traditionally, the Big Ten is known for its hard-hitting, ground-and-pound style of play. With many programs across the country adopting an up-tempo, spread offense in the new era of mobile quarterbacks, the Big Ten could become an outlier. Penn State led the Big Ten conference with 290.2 passing...

Big Ten Media Day: A look at some of the Illini’s biggest talking points

Illinois football head coach Lovie Smith addresses the crowd at Big Ten Media Day on July 24 in Chicago. Important talking points regarding Illini football included new coaching staff, facility updates and what to expect in the upcoming season. Credit: Alex Aguilera

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

July 25, 2018

The 47th Big Ten Media Day kicked off in Chicago this Monday and Tuesday with Illinois football head coach Lovie Smith bringing along players Nick Allegretti, Mike Dudek and Jamal Milan. The Illini have plenty of question marks surrounding their young team as training camp is set to begin in early...

Big Ten Media Days: Day One Roundup

Illinois wide reciever Malik Turner addresses reporters at his press conference at Big Ten Media Days. Turner was indifferent on the subject of Friday night games vs. Saturday games.

By Jacob Diaz, Staff Writer

July 24, 2017

The addition of more Friday night games to the Big Ten schedule dominated day one of Big Ten Media Days in Chicago, as many in attendance asked coaches and players alike about their thoughts on Friday night games during the Big Ten season. Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany was the second person to take the ...

Whitman, Smith enthusiastic about new football facility

Smith speaks to media at Big Ten Media Days on July 24.

By Jacob Diaz, Staff Writer

July 24, 2017

When the Illinois Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced a change in plans for upgrading Illinois' football facilities June 20, the media and fans alike had many questions. A month after announcing delays to the original proposal of renovating Memorial Stadium and the unveiling of a 10...

Smith names Crouch starting quarterback

Illinois quarterback Chayce Crouch (7) looks to pass the ball during the game against Purdue at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, October 8. The Illini lost 34-31.

By Mike Gasick, Staff writer

July 24, 2017

Illinois head football coach Lovie Smith said at Big Ten Media Days that Chayce Crouch will start the season at quarterback for the Illini. Smith said he enjoys the energy Crouch brings to the team, but he needs to be smart about the ways he uses it. “Well, first off, he needs to learn how to ...

A lot can change in one year

Lovie Smith at his introductory press conference

By Kevin McCarthy, Assistant sports editor for on-air

July 27, 2016

CHICAGO — A year ago at Big Ten Media Days, former Illini football coach Tim Beckman managed to embarrass himself, his team and the University by fumbling over the meaning of a silly acronym. That was before he had to field questions about the rumors of player abuse and mistreatment that were s...

Big Ten adapts targeting call decision process

Head coach Bill Cubit disagrees with a call and has to be held back while he screams at the referees during Illinois' 14-13 win over Nebraska on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

By Cole Henke, Staff Writer

July 27, 2016

CHICAGO — Bill Carollo, the Big Ten’s Coordinator of Football Officials, brought in a symphony to perform in front of conference referees earlier this year. But the ensemble wasn’t there to entertain: It was there to train officials. One of the most stressful times for a football referee is...

See what other coaches and players said about Lovie Smith at Big Ten Media Day

big ten fun

By Joey Figueroa, Staff Writer

July 26, 2016

CHICAGO — Illinois football head coach Lovie Smith made his Big Ten Media Day debut Tuesday, bringing a type of football-related buzz to Chicago that hadn't been there since his days with the Bears. He didn’t make an appearance until the second day of the event, but Smith was on the tip of ever...

LISTEN: Thoughts on Lovie Smith at Big Ten media days

Lovie Smith responds to questions at the press conference on Monday, March 7, 2016.

By Kevin McCarthy, Joey Figueroa, and Cole Henke

July 26, 2016

Joey Figueroa, Kevin McCarthy and Cole Henke talk about their impressions on Lovie Smith at Big Ten Media Days...

LISTEN: Reflections on Illini players at Big Ten media days

Quarterback Wes Lunt hands off to running back Ke'Shawn Vaughn during the Homecoming game against Wisconsin at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, October 24. Illinois lost 13-24.

July 26, 2016

Joey Figueroa, Kevin McCarthy and Cole Henke talk about the players that were at Big Ten Media Days...

Next Page »