Illinois women’s XC prepares for Big Ten championships

By Ivy Flores, Staff Writer

October 21, 2019

The Illini traveled to Peoria, Illinois, and Terre Haute, Indiana, to race in the Bradley Pink Classic at Newman Gold Course and compete at Pre-Nationals, respectively. The Illini are using each race to prepare for the Big Ten Championships and potentially Nationals. The team has noticeably improved,...

No. 20 Illinois set to run at Bradley Pink Classic, Pre-Nationals

By Sports Desk

October 16, 2019

The Illinois women's cross country team will travel to Peoria, Illinois, and Terre Haute, Indiana, this weekend, following the team's jump in U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association ranking from the No. 21 to No. 20 spot. Illinois also climbed to the No. 3 spot in the Midwest Regional...

Illinois races under pressure at Buckeye Preview

By Ivy Flores, Contributing Writer

October 1, 2019

The women’s cross-country team traveled to Ohio State this weekend to compete in the Buckeye Preview on the school's home course in Columbus, Ohio. Illinois raced among nationally ranked teams including No. 7 Michigan, No. 21 Ohio State, No. 16 Penn State and many other non-ranked programs.  With ...

Illini place sixth at McNichols Invite

By Kali Marpe, Staff writer

September 25, 2019

The Illini women’s cross country team came in sixth overall on Saturday at the John McNichols Invitational, boasting new personal records.  The team took a road trip to Terra Haute, Indiana for the Indiana State hosted meet. The course will be the location of the NCAA National Cross Country Cha...

Illinois adds depth, coins best regional ranking since 2012

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

September 18, 2019

After clawing back from the 24th-rank in the NCAA’s Midwest Region two years ago, the Illinois women’s cross country team opened its fall campaign sitting in the No. 4 spot, its best ranking since 2012.  The team placed first in its first meet of the season at the Illini Open Aug. 30 – the Ill...

Illini start season on home course

Illini start season on home course

By Rachel Spencer, Assistant Sports Editor

August 29, 2019

Illinois men’s and women’s cross country are set to kick off their seasons this Friday in Urbana at the Illini Open. Hosted at the UI Arboretum, the women’s 5K will begin at 5 p.m. and the men’s 8K at 5:40 p.m. The women’s cross country program returns to action after a historic 2018 season. At...

McGrath steps up in fall season

McGrath steps up in fall season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

November 15, 2018

Sophomore Allison McGrath led the Illini in Friday’s NCAA Midwest Regional meet. Despite her underclassman status, McGrath has improved over the last 12 months and stepped into a leadership role on the team this season. McGrath improved her time compared with last year at the 2017 NCAA regionals fro...

Team bonding brings victory at Midwest Regional

By Claire O'Brien

November 13, 2018

Regional Recap The Illinois women’s cross country team ran to a fourth-place finish at Friday’s NCAA Midwest Regional meet. The team as a whole saw a lot of improvement this season despite the Illini running only freshmen and sophomores. Sophomore Allison McGrath finished improved from 133rd to 18t...

Unified training produces breakthrough season for women’s team

By Ashleigh Lefevre, Contributing Writer

November 5, 2018

The Illinois women’s cross country team has had a turn-around season — it finished in the top 5 every meet except for the Big Ten Championships last week. The stats speak for themselves, and the women have seen a steep rise in their USTFCCCA Midwest regional rankings from 24th last season to a n...

Unexpected performance for cross country Big Ten championships

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

October 30, 2018

The Big Ten Championships didn’t go as planned for the Illinois cross country teams. After finishing in the top-5 in every meet so far this season, the women’s team finished 12th out of 14 other teams in the Big Ten on Nebraska’s home course this weekend. The men earned a 10th-place finish out of 12...

Illini look to become Big Ten champions

Illini look to become Big Ten champions

By Claire O'Brien, Contributing Writer

October 25, 2018

Coming off a win at the Illini Open on Friday, the Illinois women’s cross country team is looking forward to the Big Ten Championships on Sunday in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Illini will run junior Grace Rogers; sophomores Rebecca Craddock, Nicki Cast, Allison McGrath and Katie Stapleton; redshirt fres...

Women’s cross country sprints to first place at Illini Open; men’s participates in first home meet

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

October 23, 2018

Women The Illinois women’s cross country team won the Illini Open Friday, also the team's first and only home meet of the season. Haveman said the team has made a lot of progress this season, and it showed during the Open. “To put together a group of (our) ladies and have them to show up and run how w...

Next Page »