Sophomore Alexander Babbington competes in the shotput event during the Heptathlon at the meet at the Armory on Friday.

Illini women shine in Big Ten title with 3rd place finish

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor January 30, 2021

After being on the road for back-to-back weeks to kick off the 2021 season, the Illini hosted the Illini Big Ten Multi-Meet while the cross country team was in Shelbyville, Indiana for the conference championship. For...

The Illinois volleyball team huddles up in a match against Michigan on Nov. 1, 2019. The volleyball team was one of the many Illinois programs to have players sign National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.

Illinois athletics receives National Letters of Intent from dozens of athletes on Signing Day

By Daily Illini Sports Staff November 11, 2020

The NCAA’s national signing period for high school athletes of all sports except football began on Nov. 11. Today, dozens of athletes from across the country signed their National Letter of Intent to...

Then seniors Ashlyn Fleming and Jacqueline Quade attempt to block the ball during the game against the Pacific Tigers on Sept. 20, 2019 in Indianapolis, IN.

NCAA board approves postponement of fall championships to spring

By Gabby Hajduk, Sports Editor September 22, 2020

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved the postponement of fall sports championships to the spring, with the exclusion of football, on Tuesday. The postponement was originally recommended by the...

Women’s cross country and track head coach Sarah Haveman claps at a cross country meet,

Cross country, track and field teams deal with postponed competition, possible season overlap

By Luca Ripani, Staff Writer September 15, 2020

As the Big Ten sports world continues to reel from the conference’s decision to postpone fall athletics in August, many coaches and players are dealing with the logistical issues raised by playing fall...

Redshirt freshman Isaiah Williams throws the ball during a drill at football practice on Aug. 7.

Illini sports continue practice following postponement of season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer August 25, 2020

Huff Hall, Demirjian Park and Memorial Stadium are going to be empty this fall. The Illini won’t be competing against other Big Ten schools after the conference announced the cancellation of all fall...

Illinois quarterback Brandon Peters rolls to the right and looks for an open receiver during Illinois' game at Iowa Saturday. The Hawkeyes beat the Illini 19-10, snapping their four-game win streak. Captured at Kinnick Stadium on 23 Nov. 2019 by Jonathan Bonaguro.

Fall sports lose traction throughout season, some exceptions

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor December 12, 2019

This fall, Illinois experienced memorable victories and tragic losses at nearly every turn. Some Illini teams saw serious growth in the latter part of 2019, while others fell victim to expectation-shattering...

Women’s cross country and track head coach Sarah Haveman was named U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Midwest Region Women’s Coach of the Year. Haveman is the second Illinois coach to receive the award.

Haveman named USTFCCCA Midwest Region Women’s Coach of the Year

By Savaughn Anderson, Staff Writer December 9, 2019

In November, Illinois head cross country coach Sarah Haveman was named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Midwest Region Women’s Coach of the Year. Haveman is the second coach...

Women’s cross country finishes 22nd at NCAA Championships as a team

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor November 23, 2019

The No. 21-ranked Illinois women's cross country team ran to a 22nd-place finish at the NCAA Division I Championships at Lavern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Indiana Saturday...

Allison McGrath runs at the Illini Open at the UI Arboretum on Aug. 30.

Illini set for NCAA Championships

By JJ Kim, Assistant Sports Editor November 20, 2019

Continuing to build on a strong season, the Illinois women’s cross country team is going to their first NCAA Championship since 2009 after winning the NCAA Midwest Regional Championship with a score...

The women’s cross country team poses together after winning the NCAA Midwest Regional at Stillwater, Oklahoma on Friday. The team hasn’t won the NCAA Regional since 2006 or participated since 2009.

Illinois women’s cross country wins NCAA Midwest Regionals

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer November 16, 2019

Illinois women’s cross country won the NCAA Midwest Regional meet Friday in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and is heading to the NCAA National meet. The Illini last won the NCAA Regional in 2006 and have been...

Rebecca Craddock runs at the Illini Open at the UI Arboretum on Aug. 30.

Illini hope to build off momentum gained at Big Ten Championships

By JJ Kim, Assistant Sports Editor November 13, 2019

The Illinois men’s and women’s cross country team will look to build off the momentum generated from the Big Ten Championships at the NCAA Regionals this Friday in Stillwater, Oklahoma.  The men’s...

Rebecca Craddock runs at the Big Ten Championships at Ohio State on Sunday.

Illinois competes at Ohio State

By Sports Desk November 5, 2019

The No. 19-ranked Illinois women’s cross country team finished sixth in the Big Ten Championships at Ohio State Sunday with a team score of 144. Junior Rebecca Craddock leads the Illini for the second...

Load More Stories