Illini places third in home invitational, season-best finish

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

October 14, 2019

The Illinois women’s golf team traveled 150 miles north of campus this week to host the Illini Women’s Invitational in Medinah, Illinois. The Illini had their best team finish so far this season, placing third out of 15 teams. Following a weekend trip to Norman, Oklahoma, where the Illini finished tied for 5...

Nowlin leads Illini in Schooner Fall Classic

By Josh Pietsch, Contributing Writer

October 2, 2019

The Illinois women’s golf team competed in the Schooner Fall Classic this week on a tough course in Norman, Oklahoma. The event was hosted by the Oklahoma Sooners, and the Illini placed tied for fifth out of 15 teams.  Following the women's last performance, they dropped to No. 19 in national ran...

Illini fall short at Glass City Invitational

By Josh Pietsch, Contributing Writer

September 29, 2019

The Illinois Women’s golf team competed in the Glass City Invitational this weekend, placing 5 out of 13 teams. The invite was hosted in Toledo, Ohio by the University of Toledo. The Illini were confident heading into the match, having been ranked the 15th best collegiate team in the country in ...

Up to par: Illini place fifth in first tournament

By Rachel Spencer, Assistant Sports Editor

September 19, 2019

The No. 16-ranked Illinois women’s golf wrapped up its first tournament of the fall semester last Tuesday at the Glass City Invitational, finishing fifth as a team. The invite was hosted by Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio, with three rounds being played on the course over two days.  Sophomores start ...

Renee Slone prepares for fall season following Coach of the Year award

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

September 9, 2019

Last year was a successful season for many Illini sports teams, including women’s golf, which went to the NCAA Championship for the first time in program history. This season, the Illini have many returning players, only graduating senior Bing Singhsumalee. Those who returned include senior Tristyn...

Success in season sees Illini golfers in summer tournament play

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

June 25, 2019

After both men’s and women’s golf teams made it to the NCAA Championships this year, a string of former and current Illini golfers are competing in tournaments over the summer. Men’s head coach Mike Small is an active player on the PGA Circuit. In 2018, Small competed in seven PGA Tournaments and f...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Women’s golf advances to NCAA finals for first time in school history

By Claire O’Brien, Staff Writer

May 10, 2019

The No. 19 Illinois women’s golf team advanced to the NCAA finals Wednesday for the first time in school history. As a No. 7 seed. in the NCAA Regional, Illinois had a deep field of competition, including fellow Big Ten teams Indiana and Michigan State. This trip to the NCAA championship is the la...

Women’s golf set to compete at NCAA Regional

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 2, 2019

Monday through Wednesday, the Illinois women’s golf team will head to East Lansing, Michigan for the NCAA women’s golf regional. The Illini will play at Forest Akers West Golf Course, which is one of two golf courses run by Michigan State, the other being Forest Akers East. The two courses were ...

Slone receives Big Ten Coach of the Year award

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 29, 2019

Women’s golf head coach Renee Slone was awarded the Big Ten Coach of the Year on Tuesday after the Illini tied for second at the Big Ten tournament. Slone has been head coach of the Illini for 13 seasons, beginning her career in 2006. As a former Illini golfer who won National Player of the Year i...

Illinois ties for second at Big Ten Tournament

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 23, 2019

The Illinois women’s golf team finished tied for second at the Big Ten Tournament Friday and Sunday in Maineville, Ohio. The Illini had a bumpy start in the tournament, at one point being tied for fifth. However, at the end of Friday, freshman Kornkamol Sukaree was tied for first and junior Tristyn...

Lone senior Singhsumalee finds passion off the course

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 22, 2019

Illinois women’s golf senior Bing Singhsumalee has had a love for golf since she was four years old, but it wasn’t her only passion. Growing up, Singhsumalee first began to golf with her father, swinging a club for the first time at 4 years old and soon participated in golf tournaments. “I rem...

Next Page »