Illinois Athletics receives Stone Creek Golf Club from The Atkins Group

An Illinois golf player watches his ball fly through the air during the match against Bradley at Stone Creek Golf Course on April 14, 2018.

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer

July 1, 2020

The University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics announced the athletic department was given the Stone Creek Golf Club from The Atkins Group. The Atkins Group is an Urbana-based real estate development firm. They donated it as part of their commitment to the University and their alig...

Big Ten honors trio of Illini women’s golfers

Senior Tristyn Nowlin watches her ball fly through the air during competition.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

May 22, 2020

In a shortened year, these Illinois women's golfers only needed a few meets to showcase their talent and get recognized. Senior Tristyn Nowlin and sophomore Kornkamol Sukaree were named to the All-Big Ten First Team and Second Team, respectively, while sophomore Reena Sulkar was nominated as Illinois'...

Team of the century: 2018-2019 Illini start, finish season strong

The Illinois 2018-2019 Women's Golf team poses for a team photo.

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

May 17, 2020

Throughout the 21st century, the Illinois women’s golf team has started to achieve more and more success. Top finishes in invites and Big Ten tournaments have been part of some of their achievements, but one team won more than the rest. The 2018-19 team won three invites and made it to the NCAA Cha...

Illini of the season: Two golfers lessen spring struggles

Senior Tristyn Nowlin putts her ball onto the green during the Illini Women's Invitational  on Oct 7, 2019 at the Medinah County Club.

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

March 28, 2020

While heads are still spinning due to the outbreak of COVID-19, wondering when certain sports will return, one thing that is unfortunately known for sure is that the Illini women’s golf team’s season is over. After a successful fall season, the team had high hopes for a busy spring schedule. After...

Illini lose majority of spring season

Tristyn Nowlin golfs at the Women’s Invitational in Medina, Illinois, on Oct. 9, 2019.

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

March 18, 2020

The cancellation of all spring sports due to the outbreak of COVID-19 came suddenly to all athletes and teams and will affect each group of competitors differently. For the Illini women’s golf team, it will hit them negatively in multiple ways. Despite an extra year of eligibility being granted to s...

Illinois women’s golf gains momentum on final round of Westbrook Invitational

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

February 27, 2020

The Illini women’s golf team traveled down south to Peoria, Arizona last weekend for the team's second match of the spring season for the Westbrook Invitational hosted by Wisconsin. The Illini placed 9th out of 16 teams.  Unlike their first match of the season, the Illini didn't get out to a good ...

Illini travel to Texas to face Texas A&M, Baylor this weekend

By Wes Hollenberg, Staff Writer

February 13, 2020

The Illinois women’s tennis team will travel to College Station, Texas to face No. 18 Texas A&M on Friday and treck to Waco, Texas to face Baylor on Sunday.  The team is 3-4 overall so far this season and is coming off of a three-loss weekend at the ITA Tennis Indoor National Championships. Illin...

Women’s golf prepare for a competitive spring season

Senior Tristyn Nowlin watches her approach shot during the Medina Invitational. Though she is in her final year at the Univesity, Nowlin looks to lead the team to success before she turns professional after graduating.

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

January 27, 2020

After over three months without competing, the Illini women’s golf team will hit the greens for competition during the first weekend in February. The long offseason had the ladies putting in work together, as well as taking time to get better on their own. After finishing third out of 18 teams in t...

Fall sports lose traction throughout season, some exceptions

Illinois quarterback Brandon Peters rolls to the right and looks for an open receiver during Illinois' game at Iowa Saturday. The Hawkeyes beat the Illini 19-10, snapping their four-game win streak. Captured at Kinnick Stadium on 23 Nov. 2019 by Jonathan Bonaguro.

By Meghan Rest, Sports Editor

December 12, 2019

This fall, Illinois experienced memorable victories and tragic losses at nearly every turn. Some Illini teams saw serious growth in the latter part of 2019, while others fell victim to expectation-shattering campaigns. Despite what record books and scoreboards may suggest, the Illini were full of surpr...

Illini finish season strong at Landfall Tradition

Sophomore Reena Sulkar swings at the Illini Women’s Invitational. The home invitational took place in Medinah, Illinois, on Oct. 9.

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

November 1, 2019

The Illini traveled to Wilmington, North Carolina, last weekend for the final competition of their fall season at the Landfall Tradition. The invite was hosted by the University of North Carolina Wilmington Oct. 25-27, and Illinois placed third out of 18 competing teams.  The women got the week be...

Illini head to North Carolina for last meet in fall season

Sophomore Crystal Wang hits the ball at the Illini Women's Invite at Medinah on Oct. 10, 2018. The Illini are headed to Wilmington, North Carolina, for the Landfall Tradition this weekend.

By Josh Pietsch, Contributing Writer

October 25, 2019

To close out their fall season, the Illinois women’s golf team will head to Wilmington, North Carolina this weekend to compete in the Landfall Tradition. The invite, which will be played Friday through Sunday, is hosted by the University of North Carolina Wilmington and will be played for the 18th...

Nowlin leads on, off green in her final season with Illinois

By Josh Pietsch, Staff Writer

October 19, 2019

Being a senior on any sports team comes with perks, including experience and leadership. But on the Illinois women’s golf team, there’s only one golfer with the senior title: Tristyn Nowlin. Nowlin, a kinesiology major from Richmond, Kentucky, is the only four-year collegiate golfer on the team...

Next Page »