Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

Filed under Baseball, Golf, Golf, Softball, Sports, Tennis, Tennis, Track & Field, Track & Field

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Women’s golf advances to NCAA finals for first time in school history

By Claire O’Brien, Staff Writer

May 10, 2019

Filed under Golf, Sports, Women's Sports

The No. 19 Illinois women’s golf team advanced to the NCAA finals Wednesday for the first time in school history. As a No. 7 seed. in the NCAA Regional, Illinois had a deep field of competition, including fellow Big Ten teams Indiana and Michigan State. This trip to the NCAA championship is the la...

Women’s golf set to compete at NCAA Regional

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 2, 2019

Monday through Wednesday, the Illinois women’s golf team will head to East Lansing, Michigan for the NCAA women’s golf regional. The Illini will play at Forest Akers West Golf Course, which is one of two golf courses run by Michigan State, the other being Forest Akers East. The two courses were ...

Slone receives Big Ten Coach of the Year award

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 29, 2019

Women’s golf head coach Renee Slone was awarded the Big Ten Coach of the Year on Tuesday after the Illini tied for second at the Big Ten tournament. Slone has been head coach of the Illini for 13 seasons, beginning her career in 2006. As a former Illini golfer who won National Player of the Year i...

Illinois ties for second at Big Ten Tournament

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 23, 2019

Filed under Golf, Sports, Top Stories, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s golf team finished tied for second at the Big Ten Tournament Friday and Sunday in Maineville, Ohio. The Illini had a bumpy start in the tournament, at one point being tied for fifth. However, at the end of Friday, freshman Kornkamol Sukaree was tied for first and junior Tristyn...

Lone senior Singhsumalee finds passion off the course

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 22, 2019

Filed under Golf, Sports, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

Illinois women’s golf senior Bing Singhsumalee has had a love for golf since she was four years old, but it wasn’t her only passion. Growing up, Singhsumalee first began to golf with her father, swinging a club for the first time at 4 years old and soon participated in golf tournaments. “I rem...

Young team will be key to success in upcoming Big Ten Championships

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 18, 2019

The Illinois women’s golf team is going back to Maineville, Ohio, for the Big Ten Championships Friday through Sunday. The team will be making its second trip to Ohio after facing Ohio State last weekend. The Big Ten Championships have been held at the Maineville course for the past three years, so the...

Illini finish fourth

Illini finish fourth

By Claire O’Brien, Staff Writer

April 11, 2019

The Illinois women’s golf team finished in fourth place at the Clemson Invitational in Sunset, South Carolina, Tuesday. The No. 22-ranked team, according to figthingillini.com, had a strong performance through all three rounds, finishing play Sunday in third place and Monday in fourth place. Tuesday’s final round was canceled due to inclement weather toward the end of the play, making the Mond...

Nowlin learns, grows from competition

Nowlin learns, grows from competition

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

April 8, 2019

Illini junior golfer Tristyn Nowlin competed at Augusta National’s first women’s amateur this week. According to her biography on the Augusta National Women’s Amateur site, this isn’t Nowlin’s first foray into prestigious amateur tournaments; Nowlin was a runner-up at the Women’s Western Natio...

Nowlin to compete at Augusta

Nowlin to compete at Augusta

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 28, 2019

Filed under Golf, Sports, Sports Top Stories, Women's Sports

Junior Tristyn Nowlin is set to compete at Augusta National on April 3-6 in the inaugural Augusta National Women’s Amateur. The tournament will be held before the PGA Masters, Augusta National’s most notable event of the year, and just prior to the Illinois men’s team 3M Augusta Invitational A...

Women’s golf takes home 11th-place finish

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 21, 2019

The No. 25 Illinois women’s golf team competed Monday and Tuesday in Johns Island, South Carolina, at the Briar’s Creek Invitational hosted by the College of Charleston. Heading into Tuesday, the Illini were in eighth place but fell three spots during the day. The Illini finished 11 out of 17 team...

Team heads to South Carolina; Nowlin off to Augusta

By Claire O'Brien, Staff writer

March 7, 2019

On Feb. 24 and 25, No. 18 Illinois women’s golf competed at the Westbrook Invitational in Peoria, Arizona. The Illini took third at the tournament, hosted by Wisconsin. Fellow Big Ten team Nebraska took first and Illinois collectively shot minus nine for the weekend. Heading into Monday in eighth place at ...

Next Page »