Women’s golf headed to NCAA regionals in Madison

By Rachel Spencer, Staff Writer

May 3, 2018

Filed under Golf, Sports, Women's Sports

On April 25, the NCAA announced this year’s sites for the Division I women’s golf regionals. The Illini will be heading up north this year to the University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin, and will be hosted by the Badgers May 7-9. After play concludes on May 9, the top six teams in the ...

Women’s golf takes second at Big Ten Championships

By Rachel Spencer, Staff Writer

April 26, 2018

Filed under Golf, Sports, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The last time the Illinois women’s golf team finished in second place at the Big Ten Championships, The Commodores and Queen were in the Top 40 music charts, the nation was preparing to celebrate its bicentennial and Gerald Ford was President of the United States. Add in the fact that most of the 2018 team w...

Women’s golf turns attention to Big Ten Championships

By Rachel Spencer, Staff Writer

April 19, 2018

The Illini return to Ohio this weekend, this time to play in the Big Ten Championships. The three-day tournament will be held at TPC River’s Bend in Maineville, Ohio, Friday to Sunday. TPC River’s Bend hosted the Big Ten Championship the previous year, where the Illini finished in the middle of the f...

Illinois women’s golf outpaces Kent State

April 17, 2018

Over the weekend, the Illini women’s golf team played in the Lady Buckeye Invitational in Columbus, Ohio. The invitational, hosted by the Ohio State University, was played on the university's Scarlet Course. After two rounds of play, the Illini finished at the top of a field, which included eight...

A look inside the Illini’s golf bag

A look inside the Illini’s golf bag

By Rachel Spencer, Staff Writer

April 16, 2018

According to the United States Golf Association, a golfer can carry a maximum of 14 clubs in their bag at any given time. Along with those clubs, there are often a number of other objects that players may need during an 18-hole meet — golf balls, tees, ball markers, scorecards, yardage books and o...

Women’s golf seniors reflect on time as Illini

By Rachel Specner, Staff Writer

April 5, 2018

As March finally gives way to April, members of the class of 2018 set their sights on an end goal:  commencement and the honor of receiving a diploma from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This May, the women’s golf team will say farewell to four graduating seniors. Dana Gattone, Grace Par...

Women’s golf takes third at Briar’s Creek Invitational

By Rachel Spencer, Staff Writer

March 24, 2018

The Illinois women’s golf team made a strong showing in Johns Island, South Carolina, at the Briar’s Creek Invitational. After two days of play, the Illini finished in third place out of a field of 17 teams. Illinois was outpaced by North Carolina and Campbell but finished ahead of Big Ten rival Penn ...

Morallos takes ‘Mamba Mentality’ off the court and onto the course

By Rachel Spencer, Contributing writer

March 15, 2018

It all started with a TEDtalk. Ali Morallos is no stranger to competition, having seven top 10 American Junior Golf Association finishes under her belt, in addition to qualifying for the 2014 U.S. Women’s Public Links, all before stepping foot in Champaign. Once a member of the Fighting Illini w...

Women’s golf takes fifth at Meadow Club

Women’s golf takes fifth at Meadow Club

By Rachel Spencer, Contributing writer

March 11, 2018

After a lukewarm start in Arizona, finishing ninth out of 15, the Fighting Illini women’s golf team finally caught their stride Monday and Tuesday in Fairfax, California. On its return trip to the Meadow Club Intercollegiate, Illinois finished in fifth place with a total score of 592, outpacing...

Women’s golf heads back out west

Women’s golf heads back out west

By Rachel Spencer, Contributing Writer

March 5, 2018

After a middle-of-the-pack finish in Arizona last weekend, the Fighting Illini women’s golf team will be heading back out west this week. This time, the Illini will be heading to Fairfax, California, to play in the Meadow Club Intercollegiate, which begins March 5. Last spring, in its first appearance at Meadow Club, Ill...

Spring season start shows potential

Spring season start shows potential

By Rachel Spencer, Contributing writer

February 28, 2018

The Illini women’s golf team was back at it this past weekend in Peoria, Arizona, at the Westbrook Invitational. The two-day invite marked the start of the spring season, one for which head coach Renee Slone has high expectations. “We’re coming off the strongest fall we’ve had in the histor...

Women’s golf finishes seventh at Big Ten championships

By Gavin Good, Assistant sports editor

April 25, 2017

The Illinois women's golf team finished the first round of the Big Ten championships in seventh place, and the Illini remained in that spot when the final ball was struck. Two individuals managed top-25 finishes, as junior Chayanid Prapassarangkul and freshman Swing Liu tied for 21st, each shooting...

Next Page »