Senior Nicole Biondi runs through a tunnel of teammates before performing on the bars at a meet against Iowa on Jan. 31. The Illinois women's gymnastics failed to advance to NCAA Regionals in Athens, Georgia.

Illinois comes up short, fails to advance in NCAA Regionals

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer April 2, 2021

As expected, No. 1 Florida and No. 8 Minnesota dominated their respective sessions. The Gators won session two with a 197.950, and the Golden Gophers won session one with a 197.625. However, unlike No....

Senior Nicole Biondi performs her beam routine during the meet against Penn State on Jan. 31. The women’s gymnastics team will travel to Georgia for the NCAA Regionals starting Thursday.

No. 16 Illinois looks forward to NCAA Regionals in Georgia

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer April 1, 2021

As the last seeded team, No. 16 Illinois travels to Georgia for its regional. “This is a bigger meet,” said freshman Abby Mueller. “We’re just going in treating it like any other meet we’ve...

Junior Mallory Mizuki poses on the high beam during the meet against Iowa on Jan. 31. Mizuki continues to train and improve both mentally and physically.

Mizuki uses injury issues as motivation, develops valuable leadership skills while sidelined

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 29, 2021

Nobody likes to lose what they’re passionate about. Junior Mallory Mizuki loves kayaking and traveling, but she was at her lowest when she lost gymnastics. When Mizuki first arrived at Illinois, she...

Senior Kylie Noonan celebrates during the Big Ten Women's Gymnastics Championships on Saturday. The Fighting Illini tied with Iowa for third place and finished with 196.625 points.

Illinois finish tied for third with Iowa in conference championship

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 20, 2021

The battle for supremacy in the Big Ten conference came to an end. No. 7 Minnesota won the Big Ten conference championship with a score of 197.750. No. 16 Illinois took third, tying with regular season...

Mia Townes celebrates after coming off of the vault on Feb. 07 at Huff Hall. The Illinois women’s gymnastics team is hopeful that they can win their first Big Ten championship this season.

Illinois looks to win women’s gymnastics Big Ten championship

The time is finally here: No. 16 Illinois has a chance to win the school’s first women’s gymnastics Big Ten Championship in over 30 years and the second Big Ten championship for an Illini team this...

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team poses for a photo with a scoreboard showcasing their new all-around record. The team is using program records as motivation to compete to the best of their ability.

Illini of the Week: Women’s gymnastics team uses program record as momentum, motivation

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 18, 2021

Heading into a conference tournament, everybody wants momentum or something to give them radiating self-confidence, whether it’s a win or even a great week of practice. But, what the Illini women’s...

Sophomore Mia Townes celebrates after competing in an event during the meet against Minnesota at Huff Hall on March 13. Townes is one of four Illini to earn Big Ten All-Conference honors this season.

Four Illini earn Big Ten All-Conference honors

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 17, 2021

The Big Ten Conference announced its all-conference women’s gymnastics teams for 2021. The teams were assembled based on gymnasts' individual National Qualifying Score, and No. 16 Illinois has the third-most...

The Illinois women's team poses with its final score at Huff Hall on March 13. The Illini beat the Golden Gophers on Senior Night, and the score was the highest in program history.

Illinois breaks records on Senior Night in last meet of regular season

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 13, 2021

The last meet of the regular season was Senior Night, and No. 21 Illinois broke their team score record and beat No. 7 Minnesota 197.575 to 196.850. This impressive win not only proves they can hang with...

Senior Nicole Biondi performs her floor routine during the meet against Michigan on Feb. 21. The Illinois women's gymnastics team will compete against Minnesota tonight.

Illinois returns to Huff Hall for final home meet of season

No. 21 Illinois hosts No. 7 Minnesota at Huff Hall this weekend for the last home meet this season and the last meet before the Big Ten Championships. “Minnesota was a great team, and I think, honestly,...

The Illinois women's gymnastics team huddles up before the meet against Michigan on Feb. 21. The team lost to Iowa on Sunday.

Illinois loses to regular season Big Ten champion Iowa

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 7, 2021

For the third straight week, No. 19 Illinois failed to top their meet on Saturday, this time to the regular-season Big Ten champions, No. 17 Iowa, 196.450 to 196.225. In the grand scheme of things, however,...

Junior Shaylah Scott competes during the meet against Michigan on Feb. 21. The Illini will face Iowa today.

Illini travel to Iowa City for rematch against Hawkeyes

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer March 6, 2021

With two weeks left before the Big Ten Championships, No. 15 Illinois travels to Iowa City for a rematch against No. 17 Iowa. “Our mindset is we just want to continue to keep improving. ... With having...

Sophomore Mia Townes performs her floor exercise routine during the meet against Michigan on Sunday. The Illinois women's gymnastics team placed second in the Big Five Meet on Friday.

Illinois finishes second in Big Five Meet for second consecutive season

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor February 26, 2021

For the second consecutive year, the Illinois women’s gymnastics team placed second in the Big Five Meet, coming behind Minnesota.  Illinois finished with a score of 196.600, its second highest score...

Load More Stories