Four Illini women’s gymnasts earn All-Big Ten honors

Freshman Mia Takekawa completes her routine at the Big Five Meet in Toledo, Ohio on Feb. 21.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

May 20, 2020

Despite an early end to the season, the All-Big Ten gymnastics teams were released, and four Illini were honored. Freshman Mia Takekawa received First Team honors, and freshman Arayah Simons, sophomore Shaylah Scott and senior Karen Howell received Second Team honors. Back in January, Takekawa famously scored a ...

Team of the century: 2014 Illini women’s gymnastics season yet to be replicated

The Illinois Women's Gymnastics team celebrates after one of its members completes their routine during a match against Michigan on Feb. 7, 2014.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

May 3, 2020

The 2013-14 Illinois women’s gymnastics team finished off on a postseason run that has never been replicated in Illini history. The Illini made the NCAA Championships for the fourth time in the previous six seasons while finishing 11th in the rankings. The Illini started the season ranked 16th in ...

Takekawa makes strong impression, history in first season with Illini

Freshman Mia Takekawa performs her Uneven Bars routine during a match against Penn State on Feb. 7.

By Nithin Reddy, Staff Writer

April 18, 2020

In Mia Takekawa’s first season competing for the Illinois women's gymnastics team, she has already left a strong impression. The freshman has received a myriad of accolades including being named Big Ten Gymnast of the Week twice and winning eight individual event titles. She has even made history for the Illini dur...

Illini of the season: Team shows promise for future despite shortened season

Senior Karen Howell runs to hug Women's Gymnastics Head Coach Nadalie Walsh after competing during a match against Penn State on Feb. 7.

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor

April 3, 2020

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team climbed as high as sixth in the nation to open the season before falling to No. 24 before the season was prematurely canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving plenty of unanswered questions. What if freshman star Mia Takekawa had been able to make her deb...

Illinois hot streak, careers ended

Senior Karen Howell does her beam routine against Central Michigan on Senior Day at Huff Hall on March 1. Howell scored a 9.650 on the beam and the Illini won the meet with a score of 196.225-195.500.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

March 16, 2020

Coming off their second-best team performance of the season with a score of 196.250, the Illini women's gymnastics team started to gain confidence and swagger heading into the final stretch of the season. The scoring came during a close loss at the hands of the Kentucky Wildcats on March 6.  Senio...

Women’s gymnastics shares pre-meet road trip rituals

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 23, 2020

Road trips often happen in the carefree days of summer, when people load up the car and explore places around the country. But road trips aren’t exclusive to summer, and not all road trips are for leisure. The Illinois women’s gymnastics team often travels to meets; with meets being several hours a...

Takekawa becomes first Illini to score perfect 10 on balance beam

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 10, 2020

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team defeated Lindenwood and Temple in its first home meet of the season thanks to a historic performance from freshman Mia Takekawa. The No. 6 Illini scored 195.525, Lindenwood had 192.675 and Temple finished in third with a score of 192.550. Illinois improves to 4-0 on th...

Women’s gymnastics bests first ranked opponent of season

Women's gymnastics bests first ranked opponent of season

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

January 4, 2020

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team defeated No. 16 Missouri and Southeast Missouri State, 195.850-195.600-191.250, in its season debut at Missouri. Illinois previously competed in the Orange and Blue exhibition alongside the men’s gymnastics team and defeated in Illinois State in an exhibition in Dec...

Illini win exhibition meet against Redbirds

Mia Takekawa performs on the balance beam during the Womens’ Gymnastics Exhibition against Illinois State at Huff Hall on Thursday. While exhibitions do not count toward a team’s record, the event allowed an opportunity for the team to be judged.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

December 9, 2019

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team competed in an exhibition meet against Illinois State Thursday night at Huff Hall. Illinois won the friendly, 191.700-188.800. Exhibitions don’t count toward a team’s record, but scores were recorded and events judged. “(Having judges) makes it feel real,...

Howell, Mizuki make campus home

By Claire O’Brien, Staff writer

December 5, 2019

College can be a fresh start for students. While some people go to the same school as their high school friends, others show up to campus without familiar faces. Lucky for Illinois gymnastics junior Karen Howell and freshman Mallory Mizuki, their connection started in the gym. Howell hails from...

High school students and Illinois gymnasts cohabitate

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

November 16, 2019

In a campus populated by 50,000 college students, it’s easy to forget there’s a high school on our nearly 10 square-mile campus. But for the Illinois women’s gymnastics team, the students at University High School attend Physical Education class in the same space as the team's practice facility. In Kenney Gym where the Illini practice, there’s a track above the gymnastics flo...

Illinois Women’s Gymnastics opens season in exhibition

Kylie Noonan performs on the balance beam at Huff Hall on Saturday. The Illinois women’s gymnastics team competed in the Orange & Blue exhibition alongside the men’s gymnastics team, where they were split up into “orange” and “blue” squads based on which events the gymnasts competed in; the orange team won 10-9.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

November 11, 2019

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team opened its season Saturday at Huff Hall. The team competed in the Orange & Blue exhibition alongside the men’s gymnastics team. All the events were within each team; there were no co-ed events, but the teams were split up into “orange” and “blue” squ...

Next Page »