Team drops 11-season winning streak, places second

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

March 11, 2019

Filed under Gymnastics, Sports, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team competed in the State of Illinois Classic this past weekend against Northern Illinois, Illinois State and University of Illinois at Chicago. The Illini slipped under the Flames in a narrow loss of 196.075-196.150, breaking their 11-season winning streak at the meet. T...

Mary Jane Otto shares success, motivation

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

March 4, 2019

Four seniors on the women’s gymnastics team were honored this past weekend at their meet against No. 6 Denver. Suffering a huge fall on bars, the team lost to the Pioneers 197.775-195.025. The Illini started off strong on vault, where they achieved their second-highest season score of 49. Senior Mary...

Former manager added to team, makes debut

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

February 28, 2019

Rachel Borden was added to the Illinois women’s gymnastics team on Feb. 15 — one day before their meet against Iowa — where she made her debut on beam. Having been the team’s manager for most of the past semester, the sophomore’s beam routine was able to capture the attention of Illini fans with over ...

Scott already finding her place during freshman season

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff Writer

February 14, 2019

The Illinois women gymnastics team has welcomed a fresh face to beam and floor line up this season in freshman Shaylah Scott. Being the only freshman to have performed so far this season, the Texas native and junior Olympic National Champion has been making strides and showcasing her talent over the...

Illini bounce back against Spartans

Illini bounce back against Spartans

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

February 11, 2019

Ending with a solid floor routine, the Illinois women’s gymnastics team bounced back against Michigan State 195.100-194.575, the Illini earning their second Big Ten win and 10th consecutive win against the Spartans. The team started off strong on vaults by winning the event, beating its season-hi...

Head coach hopes second Big Ten loss will inspire team

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

February 4, 2019

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team faced off against Penn State over the weekend. Although the team took home three of the five individual titles, the Illini lost to the Nittany Lions 195.275-193.500. Illinois won the vault event 48.825-48.650, something it was not able to do against either of i...

Illini fall to Cornhuskers on road

Illini fall to Cornhuskers on road

By Sumeya Kalib, Staff writer

January 30, 2019

Filed under Gymnastics, Sports, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team faced off against No. 18 Nebraska with a strong grip during the first rotation; however, the Illini slipped soon after, succumbing to the Huskers 197.250-194.675. The Illini scored an impressive 49.425 during the bar event, the third best score in program history. So...

Illinois cruises to victory in Big Ten meet

By Nithin Reddy, Staff writer

January 28, 2019

Filed under Gymnastics, Gymnastics, Men's Sports, Sports, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The Illinois men’s gymnastics team had its first Big Ten meet of the season this weekend when it battled No. 9 Iowa. The Illini came out victorious with a final score of 410.45-398.8, including a clean sweep of each event. The team was led by senior Johnny Jacobson’s 81.95 points. “Johnny was ...

Illinois edges out Maryland for first Big Ten victory

By Sumeya Kalib, Contributing writer

January 22, 2019

The Illinois women’s gymnastics team earned their first Big Ten victory last weekend, edging out Maryland with a score of 195.075 to 194.950 at home in Huff Hall. The Terrapins started off with the lead during the first two rotations, after strong performances on uneven bars and vault. Two of their gymnast...

Illinois women’s gymnastics upsets No. 7 Kentucky at first home meet of the season

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

January 15, 2019

Filed under Gymnastics, Sports, Sports Top Stories, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The beginning of the women's gymnastics season will be a comfortable one for the Illini, as three of the team's first five meets will be happening under the Huff Hall roof. After a brief trip to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, to kick off the new year, the Illini returned home over the weekend for the team's...

Diab wins still rings title at NCAA championships

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

April 21, 2018

Filed under Gymnastics, Men's Sports, Sports

The Illini men's gymnastics team competed in the 2018 Men's National Collegiate Gymnastics Championships on Saturday night. While the team finished in third place behind Oklahoma and Minnesota, senior Alex Diab took home an individual national championship title in the still rings. Diab posted...

Illini gymnastics: the powerhouse that deserves attention

By Orri Benatar, On-air sports editor

February 4, 2018

Filed under Columns, Gymnastics, Gymnastics, Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Sports

It’s easy to forget about smaller sports. Our attention is so focused on the pursuit of football and men’s basketball success that we can overlook all the great things other student-athletes achieve. Golf has gained more of following, but it's time another Illinois sport gets its due: gymnastics....

Next Page »