Illini of the season: Top players lead through up and down tennis season

By Wes Hollenberg and Danielle Rhody

March 30, 2020

Looking back at the short-lived Illinois women’s tennis season, the team struggled to string together collectively strong performances that could convert into wins. Fortunately, the team did have some bright individual performers who should help the team get back to winning during a full slate of g...

Illini’s tough season ended by cancelations

By Wes Hollenberg, Staff Writer

March 19, 2020

The remainder of the Illinois women’s tennis season has been canceled due to concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19. There were 11 scheduled matches the Illini will not have a chance to compete in.  The Illini had a 5-9 record this season, struggling to compete against top tier teams. The team had...

Illini drops three losses at ITA National Indoor Championships

By Wes Hollenberg, Staff Writer

February 12, 2020

The Illinois women’s tennis team competed in the 2020 ITA National Indoor Championships last weekend, losing to No. 4 UCLA (4-0), No. 7 Texas (4-1) and No. 10 Michigan (4-1). The team moved to 3-4 on the season. All four losses have been against top-10-ranked teams.  “We played against the best competition i...

Illinois split doubleheader with Duke, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville

By Danielle Rhody, Wes Hollenburg, Staff Writers

February 4, 2020

The Illinois women’s tennis team moved to a 3-1 record on the season, as the team defeated Southern Illinois-Edwardsville 4-0 before falling to No. 5-ranked Duke 4-2 in a doubleheader on Sunday at Atkins Tennis Center.  In the doubles matches against Duke, junior Emilee Duong and freshman Josie F...

Illini rack up two dual wins in spring season opener

By Wes Hollenberg, Staff Writer

January 28, 2020

The Illinois women’s tennis team defeated Eastern Michigan (7-0) and Eastern Illinois (4-0) in a doubleheader Sunday at the Atkins Tennis Center. The matches marked the first of the Illini’s spring season.  In the singles matches against Eastern Michigan, junior Mia Rabinowitz won her sets, 6-1, 6-...

Illini to kick off spring season at home

By Danielle Rhody, Staff Writer

January 25, 2020

The Illini women’s tennis team kicks off the 2020 season on Sunday at home in Urbana, Illinois. The team will be competing against Texas Christian University at 12 p.m. and Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m. The Illini haven’t officially competed since Nov. 3, so there has been considerable preparation for ...

Josie Frazier expresses her love for tennis

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

November 16, 2019

Freshman Josie Frazier radiates passion and a competitive attitude. Coming out of high school as the number one recruit in the state of Arizona, she was highly sought-after at the collegiate level and ultimately chose Illinois. Tennis is a big part of her family, as many family members have played...

Illinois plays in Texas, Oklahoma

Illinois plays in Texas, Oklahoma

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

October 9, 2019

This weekend, the Illinois women’s tennis team played in two different tournaments, six players went to play in the Baylor Invitational in Waco, Texas, and three went to the ITA Championship in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which yielded mixed results for the Illini. Sophomore Shivani Ingle, freshman Emily Casa...

Kawai competes in 2019 Oracles ITA Masters

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

October 2, 2019

This weekend, Illinois junior Asuka Kawai competed in the 2019 Oracles ITA Masters at Pepperdine University, in Malibu, California. There were 32 men and 32 women from around the nation who played in the four-day tournament. Kawai was the top returning player from the Big Ten Conference and came into the tournament ranked...

Illini work on individual, team weaknesses for future tournaments

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

September 28, 2019

The Illinois women's tennis team played in the Wahoowa Invitational in Charlottesville, Virginia this weekend, the team's first tournament of the fall season. Overall, the team won two out of 12 doubles matches and 13 out of 29 singles matches. In singles, freshmen Josie Frazier and Emily Casati went 3-1,...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Illini make school history at NCAA tournaments

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 26, 2019

Kovacevic carries best NCAA tournament run since 2007 The Illini men’s and women’s tennis teams had successful spring seasons, and junior Aleks Kovacevic advanced to the Final Four in the NCAA men’s singles tennis championships. Kovacevic became an All-American Tuesday as he advanced to th...

Next Page »