Illinois plays in Texas, Oklahoma

Illinois plays in Texas, Oklahoma

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

October 9, 2019

This weekend, the Illinois women’s tennis team played in two different tournaments, six players went to play in the Baylor Invitational in Waco, Texas, and three went to the ITA Championship in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which yielded mixed results for the Illini. Sophomore Shivani Ingle, freshman Emily Casa...

Kawai competes in 2019 Oracles ITA Masters

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

October 2, 2019

This weekend, Illinois junior Asuka Kawai competed in the 2019 Oracles ITA Masters at Pepperdine University, in Malibu, California. There were 32 men and 32 women from around the nation who played in the four-day tournament. Kawai was the top returning player from the Big Ten Conference and came into the tournament ranked...

Illini work on individual, team weaknesses for future tournaments

By Danielle Rhody, Contributing Writer

September 28, 2019

The Illinois women's tennis team played in the Wahoowa Invitational in Charlottesville, Virginia this weekend, the team's first tournament of the fall season. Overall, the team won two out of 12 doubles matches and 13 out of 29 singles matches. In singles, freshmen Josie Frazier and Emily Casati went 3-1,...

Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Illini make school history at NCAA tournaments

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 26, 2019

Kovacevic carries best NCAA tournament run since 2007 The Illini men’s and women’s tennis teams had successful spring seasons, and junior Aleks Kovacevic advanced to the Final Four in the NCAA men’s singles tennis championships. Kovacevic became an All-American Tuesday as he advanced to th...

Kawai finds home at UI

Kawai finds home at UI

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 18, 2019

Only a handful of Illinois athletes call other countries home, and even fewer have lived in more than one. For sophomore Asuka Kawai, it’s no different. Kawai has had to move from place to place and overcome challenge after challenge to get her to where she is at now. Kawai started playing tennis after w...

Illini take care of business against Badgers, Golden Gophers in weekend matchups

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 16, 2019

The Illinois women’s tennis team competed against Wisconsin and Minnesota this weekend and cruised through both matches for the wins, 5-2 and 6-1, respectively. The Illini have been working harder during practices, according to the team, and it’s reflecting well during their most recent matches. The...

Illini defeat Spartans, fall to Wolverines in weekend matchups

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 9, 2019

The Spartans couldn’t withstand the force of the Illini this weekend and lost at the Atkins Tennis Center 6-0. This Saturday, the Illini were at home for the first time in a month and able to play their match under a blanket of sunshine and 70-degree weather. And the Illini brought the heat onto...

Illini push past losing streak to sweep Terrapins, Scarlet Knights

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 3, 2019

Somebody hand Illinois a broom and a dustpan because it just swept the tennis courts at Maryland this weekend. The Illini went through a rough patch this season with three straight losses, but they ended their losing streak during the match against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Friday and kept up the...

Team anticipates first home match after month-long road trip

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

March 28, 2019

The team will compete Friday against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The team will also be competing on Sunday against the Maryland Terrapins. This will be the Illini’s first home match after being on a month-long road trip. After a 1-4 loss to No. 18 University of Texas on March 19 and another 1-4...

Team uses losing streak to prepare for Big Ten play

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

March 25, 2019

The Illinois women’s tennis team attacked the court in full force last week during the University’s spring break against Texas but came up short to the 18-ranked team, 1-6. The Illini took the lead in the doubles matches, granting them a one-point advantage to start off. Doubles pair senior Jaclyn...

Women’s tennis breaks through to high rankings

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

February 25, 2019

The Illinois women’s tennis team lost three straight duals to open the spring season. But nearly a month later, the same team hasn’t only won five matches in a row (losing only to Wake Forest 2-5 and Texas Tech 2-4 in weeks since) – it has also broken into the NCAA’s top-25 rankings. N...

Next Page »