Senior Asuka Kawai and sophomore Josie Frazier get ready to start the match against Michigan on Friday. The Women’s Tennis Team continues to keep their momentum up and won against Purdue on Sunday.

Illinois drops match to Michigan State, wins against Purdue

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 11, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team were back in action this weekend, facing off against the Michigan State Spartans and the Purdue Boilermakers. The Illini began their weekend during the afternoon on...

Freshman Kate Duong celebrates after winning a point in her doubles match against Wisconsin Feb. 26 at Atkins Tennis Center. The Illinois women's tennis team will face Michigan State Friday in Urbana, Illinois, before traveling to West Lafayette, Indiana, for its match against Purdue Sunday.

Illinois prepares to take on Michigan State, Purdue

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 8, 2021

After a week off from competition, the Illinois women’s tennis team is back at Aktins Tennis Center Friday to face off against the Michigan State Spartans before traveling to take on the Purdue Boilermakers...

Head coach Evan Clark waits for Kate Duong and Ashley Yeah to cool down before giving them some tips during their doubles match against Wisconsin Feb. 26. Clark has transformed the program since taking over as head coach in 2016.

Evan Clark takes women’s tennis program to new heights

Over the past few years, the Illinois women’s tennis team has seen a resurgence on the court, and this all began with the arrival of head coach Evan Clark in 2014. Clark began his time at Illinois as...

Senior Emilee Duong waits for Wisconsin to return the ball at Atkins Tennis Center on Feb. 26. The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team narrowly lost to Wisconsin, but pushed through and won against Minnesota this weekend.

Illinois narrowly lose in Madison, bounce back for comeback victory in Twin Cities

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 28, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team was back on the road this weekend, as they had another Big Ten doubleheader. This time, the Illini played against the Wisconsin Badgers and the Minnesota Gophers. The...

Senior Asuka Kawai begins a backhand swing during a match against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team is scheduled to play Wisconsin and Minnesota this weekend in their respective cities.

Red-hot Illinois to visit Wisconsin, Minnesota

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 26, 2021

Coming off a pair of wins last weekend, the Illinois women’s tennis team is back on the road. The 5-6 Illini are traveling north for another set of Big Ten matches against the Wisconsin Badgers and the...

Senior Emilee Duong celebrates after winning a point against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. The Illinois women’s tennis team defeated Indiana and Purdue this weekend at Atkins Tennis Center.

Illinois defeats Indiana and Purdue in Big 10 doubleheader

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 21, 2021

The Illinois’ women’s tennis team defeated Indiana and Purdue this weekend at the Atkins Tennis Center. With this pair of wins, they move to 5-6 on the year, inching closer to the .500 mark. On...

The Illinois women’s tennis team huddles around head coach Evan Clark before their singles matches against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. The Fighting Illini are hosting Purdue and Indiana this weekend at Atkins Tennis Center.

Illinois welcomes Indiana, Purdue to Urbana for weekend matches

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 20, 2021

This weekend, the Illinois women’s tennis team will host Indiana and Purdue at the Atkins Tennis Center. The Illini split their Big Ten doubleheader last weekend, with a win against Iowa and a loss...

Women's head tennis coach Evan Clark checks on Emilee Duong and Sasha Belaya in between a match against Wisconsin on Feb. 26 at Atkins tennis Center. Clark was impressed by his teams performance against Iowa over the weekend despite losing to Nebraska on Sunday.

Illinois win against Iowa, lose to Nebraska in action-packed weekend

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 14, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team was back in action this weekend against Iowa and Nebraska in a Big 10 doubleheader at the Atkins Tennis Center. The Illini came into the match play at 2-5 on the season,...

Freshman Kate Duong returns the ball during a match against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. Illinois will face Iowa today.

Illinois hosts Iowa, Nebraska for Big Ten doubleheader

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 13, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team will welcome Big Ten rivals Iowa and Nebraska to Atkins Tennis Center this weekend. After an up-and-down doubleheader in Michigan last week, the Illini sit at...

Sophomore Ashley Yeah hits the ball during the match against Oklahoma on Wednesday. This weekend, Illinois lost against Michigan and won against Michigan State.

Illinois falls to Michigan in Ann Arbor, bounces back against Michigan State in East Lansing

By Will Payne, Contributing Writer March 8, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team took a trip up north to the state of Michigan for a Big Ten doubleheader this weekend. The Illini began the weekend in Ann Arbor Saturday, where they took on the joint-best...

Senior Sasha Belaya returns the ball during the meet against Wisconsin on Friday. The Illini fell to Wisconsin, but beat Minnesota in a meet on Sunday.

Illinois falls to Wisconsin, beats Minnesota for first win of season

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor February 28, 2021

On March 8, 2020, the Illinois women’s tennis team took the court at Atkins Tennis Center and defeated Purdue 4-1. Just four days after their Big Ten season opener, the Illini, along with other programs...

An Illinois women's tennis player bounces the ball before serving during competition. The team fell to Northwestern 6-1 on Sunday.

lllinois falls to No. 7 Northwestern despite winning doubles point for first time

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor February 21, 2021

The doubles point is just one point. Singles matches make up a majority of the meet’s score, but winning the doubles point gives the team momentum and brings them one step closer to picking up a dual-meet...

Load More Stories