Big Ten recognizes UI athletes’ academics

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

May 30, 2019

Filed under Baseball, Golf, Golf, Softball, Sports, Tennis, Tennis, Track & Field, Track & Field

On Wednesday, 1,824 students were named to the spring Big Ten Academic All-Conference team, eligibility determined by varsity-team status, full-time student status and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.0. From the University, a total of 73 spring student-athletes were selected. Baseball David Craan Casey D...

Illini make school history at NCAA tournaments

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

May 26, 2019

Filed under Men's Sports, Sports, Tennis, Tennis, Uncategorized, Women's Sports

Kovacevic carries best NCAA tournament run since 2007 The Illini men’s and women’s tennis teams had successful spring seasons, and junior Aleks Kovacevic advanced to the Final Four in the NCAA men’s singles tennis championships. Kovacevic became an All-American Tuesday as he advanced to th...

Kawai finds home at UI

Kawai finds home at UI

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 18, 2019

Filed under Sports, Tennis, Women's Sports

Only a handful of Illinois athletes call other countries home, and even fewer have lived in more than one. For sophomore Asuka Kawai, it’s no different. Kawai has had to move from place to place and overcome challenge after challenge to get her to where she is at now. Kawai started playing tennis after w...

Illini take care of business against Badgers, Golden Gophers in weekend matchups

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 16, 2019

Filed under Showcase, Sports, Tennis, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s tennis team competed against Wisconsin and Minnesota this weekend and cruised through both matches for the wins, 5-2 and 6-1, respectively. The Illini have been working harder during practices, according to the team, and it’s reflecting well during their most recent matches. The...

Illini defeat Spartans, fall to Wolverines in weekend matchups

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 9, 2019

The Spartans couldn’t withstand the force of the Illini this weekend and lost at the Atkins Tennis Center 6-0. This Saturday, the Illini were at home for the first time in a month and able to play their match under a blanket of sunshine and 70-degree weather. And the Illini brought the heat onto...

Illini push past losing streak to sweep Terrapins, Scarlet Knights

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

April 3, 2019

Filed under Sports, Tennis, Top Stories, Women's Sports

Somebody hand Illinois a broom and a dustpan because it just swept the tennis courts at Maryland this weekend. The Illini went through a rough patch this season with three straight losses, but they ended their losing streak during the match against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Friday and kept up the...

Team anticipates first home match after month-long road trip

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff writer

March 28, 2019

The team will compete Friday against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The team will also be competing on Sunday against the Maryland Terrapins. This will be the Illini’s first home match after being on a month-long road trip. After a 1-4 loss to No. 18 University of Texas on March 19 and another 1-4...

Team uses losing streak to prepare for Big Ten play

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

March 25, 2019

The Illinois women’s tennis team attacked the court in full force last week during the University’s spring break against Texas but came up short to the 18-ranked team, 1-6. The Illini took the lead in the doubles matches, granting them a one-point advantage to start off. Doubles pair senior Jaclyn...

Women’s tennis breaks through to high rankings

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

February 25, 2019

The Illinois women’s tennis team lost three straight duals to open the spring season. But nearly a month later, the same team hasn’t only won five matches in a row (losing only to Wake Forest 2-5 and Texas Tech 2-4 in weeks since) – it has also broken into the NCAA’s top-25 rankings. N...

Bulldog Classic to be a performance indicator for women’s tennis

By Gabby Vazquez, Contributing Writer

November 2, 2018

The Bulldog Classic is known as a “hidden dual” for the women’s tennis teams at Vanderbilt, Wake Forest Georgia and Illinois. The Illinois team is set to compete in the doubles round in the morning and singles in the afternoon. As far as recent performances, the Illini didn’t compete the w...

First tournament an ‘eye-opening’ experience for women’s tennis

By Gabby Vazquez, Contributing Writer

October 10, 2018

Filed under Showcase, Tennis, Top Stories, Women's Sports

The Illinois women’s tennis team concluded its first tournament of the fall season at the ITA Riviera All-American Championships in Azusa, California this weekend. The Riviera Tennis Club has hosted the All-American Championships for 34 years and has been a staple on the Illini's fall calendar. ...

Soccer thrives, tennis and golf gear up

Soccer thrives, tennis and golf gear up

By Meghan Rest, Assistant Sports Editor

September 17, 2018

Filed under Golf, Golf, Men's Sports, Soccer, Sports, Tennis, Tennis, Women's Sports

For the Illinois soccer, men’s golf and men’s tennis teams, the fall serves as a chance to shake the off-season rust. While the men’s tennis team starts up this coming weekend, the Illinois soccer and men’s golf teams are in full swing. Soccer Illinois soccer kicked off their regular Big Ten seaso...

Next Page »