Senior Emilee Duong celebrates winning a point with her teammates cheering her on from a neighboring court at the match against Michigan State April 9. The team capped off the year with a 9-9 record.

Illinois finishes off eventful season with respectable record

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor May 12, 2021

After a solid end to the season, the Illinois women’s tennis team capped off the year with a 9-9 record. Throughout the regular season, the Illini loved being at Atkins Tennis Center, as they finished...

Sophomores Ashley Yeah and Josie Frazier celebrate after scoring against Minnesota on April 9. The team's season is over after a lost against Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament.

Illinois gets knocked out of Big Ten tournament after Michigan loss

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor May 1, 2021

All good things must come to an end, and this statement sadly rang true for the Illini on Friday morning. The women’s tennis team was sent home by the No. 2 seed Michigan in the third round of the Big...

Senior Emilee Duong finishes up a match against Michigan State April 9 at Atkins Tennis Center. The team prepares to take on Purdue in the Big Ten tournament Thursday.

Illinois heads to Madison to compete in Big Ten tournament

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 28, 2021

This week, the Illinois women’s tennis team is traveling to Madison, Wisconsin to play in the Big Ten tournament. The Big Ten is one of the strongest conferences in the country when it comes to women’s...

SAsuka Kawai, Mia Rabinowitz, EmileeDuong and Sasha Belaya (left to right) pose for a photo on senior day Sunday. The Illinois women’s tennis team won the match 4-3, upsetting No. 7 Northwestern.

Illinois honors four seniors, bids farewell in regular season finale

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 22, 2021

This past Sunday, the Illinois women’s tennis team finished off its regular season with a massive upset over the No. 7 Northwestern Wildcats. Before the match, the team honored the four seniors on the...

Senior Emilee Duong swings at the tennis ball during their match on April 9 against Michigan. The Women's Tennis team celebrates finishing their regular season by beating Northwestern.

Illinois pulls off huge upset against No. 7 Northwestern

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 19, 2021

History was made at the Atkins Tennis Center on Sunday, as the Illinois women’s tennis team knocked off the No. 7 Northwestern Wildcats in their final match of the regular season. The Illini came...

Freshman Kate Duong hits a ball during a match against Michigan State on April 9. The Illinois women's tennis team will play their final match of the regular season on Sunday against Northwestern at Atkins Tennis Center.

Illinois to finish off regular season against Northwestern

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 17, 2021

The Illinois’ women’s tennis team will play its final match of the regular season this Sunday against the No. 7 Northwestern Wildcats at Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana. This match will cap off the...

Senior Asuka Kawai and sophomore Josie Frazier get ready to start the match against Michigan on Friday. The Women’s Tennis Team continues to keep their momentum up and won against Purdue on Sunday.

Illinois drops match to Michigan State, wins against Purdue

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 11, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team were back in action this weekend, facing off against the Michigan State Spartans and the Purdue Boilermakers. The Illini began their weekend during the afternoon on...

Freshman Kate Duong celebrates after winning a point in her doubles match against Wisconsin Feb. 26 at Atkins Tennis Center. The Illinois women's tennis team will face Michigan State Friday in Urbana, Illinois, before traveling to West Lafayette, Indiana, for its match against Purdue Sunday.

Illinois prepares to take on Michigan State, Purdue

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor April 8, 2021

After a week off from competition, the Illinois women’s tennis team is back at Aktins Tennis Center Friday to face off against the Michigan State Spartans before traveling to take on the Purdue Boilermakers...

Head coach Evan Clark waits for Kate Duong and Ashley Yeah to cool down before giving them some tips during their doubles match against Wisconsin Feb. 26. Clark has transformed the program since taking over as head coach in 2016.

Evan Clark takes women’s tennis program to new heights

Over the past few years, the Illinois women’s tennis team has seen a resurgence on the court, and this all began with the arrival of head coach Evan Clark in 2014. Clark began his time at Illinois as...

Senior Emilee Duong waits for Wisconsin to return the ball at Atkins Tennis Center on Feb. 26. The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team narrowly lost to Wisconsin, but pushed through and won against Minnesota this weekend.

Illinois narrowly lose in Madison, bounce back for comeback victory in Twin Cities

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 28, 2021

The Illinois women’s tennis team was back on the road this weekend, as they had another Big Ten doubleheader. This time, the Illini played against the Wisconsin Badgers and the Minnesota Gophers. The...

Senior Asuka Kawai begins a backhand swing during a match against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team is scheduled to play Wisconsin and Minnesota this weekend in their respective cities.

Red-hot Illinois to visit Wisconsin, Minnesota

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 26, 2021

Coming off a pair of wins last weekend, the Illinois women’s tennis team is back on the road. The 5-6 Illini are traveling north for another set of Big Ten matches against the Wisconsin Badgers and the...

Senior Emilee Duong celebrates after winning a point against Wisconsin on Feb. 26. The Illinois women’s tennis team defeated Indiana and Purdue this weekend at Atkins Tennis Center.

Illinois defeats Indiana and Purdue in Big 10 doubleheader

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor March 21, 2021

The Illinois’ women’s tennis team defeated Indiana and Purdue this weekend at the Atkins Tennis Center. With this pair of wins, they move to 5-6 on the year, inching closer to the .500 mark. On...

Load More Stories