Assembly Hall provides musical entertainment

By Ashley Poynter

The spring musical “Guys and Dolls” will be held at Assembly Hall, April 15 and 16 during Mom’s Weekend.

The musical is part of the weekend’s events, sponsored by the Illini Union Board. The show is a way for students and their families to spend the weekend, watching what the Assembly Hall Web site describes as one of the most popular musicals of all time.

“Guys and Dolls” will feature music from the 1950’s including musical numbers “Luck Be a Lady” and “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat.” “Guys and Dolls” is a colorful tale about gamblers, a feisty Salvation Army lass and a dance-hall girl with a pining heart, according to the Assembly Hall Web site.

Veteran gambler Sky Masterson, played by Ryan Levar, takes a bet from Nathan Detroit, played by Zev Steinberg, freshman in FAA, to win the heart of the Salvation Army lass Sarah Brown, played by Megan Cunningham, junior in LAS, putting his money and his heart on the line. Masterson and the lass are unsuspecting of romance and continually fight their attraction.

Meanwhile, Nathan’s fianc‚e, Miss Adelaide, played by Jill Schwartz, junior in LAS, is determined to be married, no matter what it takes. Hidden motives add flavor to the story line.

“It’s going to be a wonderfully exciting show. It’s a good show for both moms, dads and college students,” said producer Adam Cobb, junior in engineering.

The show is a timeless classic and has some wonderful music, Levar, sophomore in LAS, said. He also said the dance numbers really make the show.

“There’s been so many parts of the dances where we were really, really worried that we might not pull it off and they’ve become the strongest parts of our show,” Levar said.

The production offers a unique event for students to enjoy with their families who may be visiting for the weekend.

“It’s some type of clean fun that you can do,” Levar said. “You can go out to dinner and you go see a nice show. You can support other students that you know and other students that go to our University.”

Levar also said those who may be apprehensive about going to a musical for whatever reason should attend this show.

“It’s a timeless classic on Broadway so for those who don’t like the New Age theater stuff, this is something that’s been around for so long that you’re almost guaranteed to love it,” he said. “I think that even those people who might make fun of actually having a ticket to this will really enjoy the show.”

“Guys and Dolls” will be showing at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets can be purchased at the Assembly Hall Box Office, Ticket Central at the Illini Union or charge by phone at (217) 333-5000.