Welcome to the Mom’s Day Guide

By Kyle Moncelle

Moms come in all shapes and sizes. Some moms are like hens, guarding their young with their lives, then pushing them out of the nest when they’re ready. Other moms are like gorillas, letting their children wander freely, exploring and playing, but jumping to the child’s defense if they are threatened. My mom, for example, is like a cat. She looked after my siblings and me, teaching us and having fun with us, but was willing to let us leave the safety of home in order to learn life lessons.

Unfortunately for the children of the many forms of moms, their personalities make them partial to very different activities. But, fortunately, the Illini Union’s Mothers and Dads Association is hosting its annual Mom’s Weekend April 15 through 17, and moms of all shapes and sizes will be provided with the opportunity to get a taste of their U of I student’s life during that time.

Don’t panic if you have no plans for your mom when she comes. Don’t be overwhelmed by the mass of activities available to you and your mom. Fortunately for you, the Daily Illini has put together a comprehensive guide to Mom’s Weekend, complete with a calendar of events, history, columns from students and even one from a U of I mom.

So spend the day with the woman called mom, show her a good time and put a little mom into your University experience.