Frerichs defeats Myers for 52nd State Senate contest

Mike Frerichs shakes the hand of Naomi Jakobsson during their election night party at the Laborers Union Hall in Urbana early Wednesday morning. Jakobsson won for the 103rd District State Representative and Frerichs won for the 52nd District State Senato Josh Birnbaum

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Judy Myers, Republican candidate for the 52nd district of the Illinois State Senate, conceded early this morning to Mike Frerichs, her Democratic opponent.

“We gave it a good run,” Myers said. “I wish them all good luck, and that’s that.”

Myers called Frerichs around 1 o’clock in the morning to concede defeat and wish him luck in the state senate. Myers thanked supporters who stayed until the final totals were announced.

“I’m feeling very blessed and very fortunate,” Frerichs said. “The voters in this district chose me, and I just feel immense gratitude to them and all my volunteers.”

Malfunctions with voting machines in Vermilion County delayed results and kept the candidates guessing until the end of the night.

“I know they had a problem with their voting machines, something with the memory stick,” Frerichs said. “I know they are very sensitive to static, and they had to do a recount of votes.”

Myers said she was the last remaining Republican in the State Senate with veto power. Democrats now have veto proof control through the Senate, she said.

Myers campaign assistant, Carolyn Kleiner, said her candidate’s loss is not good for anyone in the state.

“It was a very good effort on Judy’s part, and I think it’s a huge loss for Vermilion county, especially,” she said.

Myers told her supporters that she will retire from political life after the night’s loss.

Frerichs talked about what he wants to do as a state senator.

“One of my goals is increasing funding for higher education,” Frerichs said. “It’s just really important not just for educating our students but for the research they do here driving our local economy and that the case I need to make to my fellow senators.”

Daily Illini Staff Writers Ryan Davis, Meghan O’Kelly, Natalie Carino and Drake Baer contributed to this report.