FAR, Daniels Hall open to students for summer

By Lisa Chung

With limited housing available to students during the summer, it is essential to submit a contract on time to ensure placement into a residence hall. This summer, University Housing will open Florida Avenue Residence Halls (FAR), and Daniels Graduate Residence Hall, 1010 W. Green St., to students.

To be eligible for University Housing, “Undergraduate and graduate students must be enrolled in summer courses,” said Kirsten Ruby, assistant director of housing for marketing. “Graduate students who are currently living in Daniels Hall must prove affiliation with the University during the summer.”

There are two summer sessions in which the halls will be open. Summer session one is four weeks long, taking place from May 13 to June 10, and summer session two is eight weeks long, from June 10 to Aug. 5.

FAR, located on the southeast side of campus across from the Illini Grove picnic area, will be open only during summer session one and will cost $20 a night for a double room with no meal plan provided. Daniels Residence Hall will house all remaining students who have filled out a contract.

“There are over 200 rooms and we are expecting them to all be booked over the summer,” Kelly Foster, housing representative of Daniels Hall, said. In total, Daniels Hall has 226 rooms available, 179 of which are single bedrooms.

Foster said accommodations can be made if there are more students who apply for housing than there are rooms.

Rates for summer session two have not yet been disclosed. During summer session two at Daniels Hall, an optional meal plan with five meals a week is available for an additional $350. As Daniels Hall does not have a cafeteria, meals will be served Monday through Friday across the street at Illinois Street Residence Hall starting June 11 to Aug. 3. The dining contract will be available at the beginning of June and can be found at the Daniels’ front desk or the Housing Information Office.

Summer housing contracts can be submitted beginning late March and, if necessary, can be canceled without penalties by May 1. Students needing housing at times differing from the summer sessions should contact the Office of Conference Services.

Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements for University Housing can look at other options, such as Private Certified Housing or apartments, Ruby said. Several Private Certified Housing facilities are open for students who need to stay on campus for reasons unaffiliated with the University.

For both summer sessions, Illini Tower opens the second and third floor to students, consisting of three to four bedroom apartments. A meal plan, however, is only offered during summer session two.

Some Private Certified Housing facilities, such as Hendrick House, 904 W. Green St.; Europa House, 802 W. Oregon St.; Nevada House for women, 801 W. Nevada St.; and the University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., have more flexible schedules and are not restricted to housing students on the summer session schedule, but do have limited availabilities.

Hendrick House offers daily rates with meals provided during summer session two.

Europa House provides housing on a weekly basis for about 45 students.

“The residents are chosen on a first come, first serve basis,” said Jacob Kinsey, a house director for Europa House. “It’s always better to turn in contracts sooner than later.”