Private certified housing offers amenities, location to residents seeking independence

By Whitney Blair Wyckoff

For some students, private certified housing is the way to go. Anne Brocker, assistant director of Private Certified Housing said that most students opt for private certified housing because of their added amenities and location.

Brocker works with students to help them find a good housing match, whether it be university housing or private certified housing. It is a collaborative and cooperative effort with University housing.

“We want to find a location that is most comfortable for them,” said Brocker. “It’s about what suits them best.”

But Brocker said that students who are interested in private certified housing should remember that, unlike students living in the University residence halls, residents of private certified dorms aren’t able to eat at other campus locations, unless they buy a meal plan through the University.

There are 2,500 students in private housing open to freshmen, and an additional 3,500 in Greek Housing, which Brocker also considers to be private certified housing.

So, take a look at some of these private certified units.

Bromley Hall

Location: 910 S. Third St.

Capacity: more than 700 residents

Cost: $7,840 for a triple room with any two meals/day meal. Also, residents are required to sign Academic Year contracts.

Description: Bromley Hall is a 13-story air-conditioned residence hall. At Bromley, residents can choose from a variety of different housing options: singles, different-sized doubles and triples.

Amenities include internet access via Ethernet connectivity in the rooms or encrypted wireless access points throughout the building, basic cable TV, in-room housekeeping, an indoor swimming pool, fitness center, billiard tables, proximity to campus and a baby grand piano in the lobby.

Resident advisors undergo training before the academic year begins. About 80 percent of residents are freshmen.

Contact Information: 217-384-6100.

Europa House

Location: 802 W. Oregon in Urbana

Rooms: two-bedroom, two-bed apartments

Cost: It is $482 for a 10-month lease

Description: Amenities included balconies, full kitchens in apartments, television, internet, and covered parking, heating and air conditioning.

Europa is in a residential neighborhood in Urbana, but is near the 22 Illini bus line and close to CRCE.

While there is no meal plan, most students cook their meals in the full kitchens in their apartments. Most residents are freshmen and sophomores, many of which are music and engineering majors.

Students are attracted to this location because of the privacy it offers.

Contact Information: 217-344-6340.

Newman Center

Location: 604 E. Armory Ave.

Cost: The standard rates are $8125 for a double and $8875 for a single

Capacity: Newman Hall houses 281 residents.

Description: A Roman Catholic living unit located down the street from Gregory Hall, Newman’s amenities available include air conditioning, wireless internet and cable TV. Other available features Newman Hall offers are a private Catholic library, 24-hour computer lab and several study and social lounges.

Newman is one block away from the quad.

The typical resident is also interested in maintaining and developing their faith while at college, said Tristan Pisarczyk, director of operations for Newman.

The hall also has a 50 percent retention rate from year to year. The majority of the rooms are doubles, but they have a few singles, triples and one quad.