Summer in C-U offers quiet, relaxing break

Daniels Hall will be the only University Residence Hall open to students this summer. ME Online

By Se Young Lee

As opposed to the bustling energy of a Quad filled with thousands of students going about their business during the school year, summer in Urbana-Champaign is life of ease.

High temperatures and high humidity seem to slow things down just a little bit more than usual, and the lack of traffic in the streets and the smaller crowd bring down the energy level further.

But that’s not to say that the summer days are boring. In fact, the change of seasons bring about a change of pace in the way of life in Urbana-Champaign that is both surprising and enjoyable.

I spent almost three months on campus during the summer, living in my apartment with just one of the three roommates, working to put out the summer tabloid editions of the Daily Illini.

As I got used to the routine of waking up past noon and strolling to work in my shorts and white linen shirt, I began to appreciate the closest simulation to a small college community possible on this campus.

Unlike the regular school year, when everyone on campus always had somewhere to go and something to do, people actually had time to sit down and relax during the summer sessions.

Every day people went out to the Quad, throwing around frisbees without having to worry about running into anyone and lying on the grass to soak in the sunlight.

The streets in Urbana and Champaign suddenly came to life as the trees cast their shade onto the houses and the roads and flowers bloomed (unfortunately, the allergies came with). And amazingly, there was never a problem getting into the bars – no crowd, no hassle.

The biggest benefit was, though, that I got to spend more time with friends who chose to stay on campus for the break. With most of them taking one or two classes maximum, everybody suddenly had more time to hang out.

Summer in Urbana-Champaign is not for everybody.

There isn’t much going on in the area aside from the bar scene, especially in comparison to Chicago, the city that majority of students on this campus live nearby.

But if you’re looking for some time to slow down and kick back, and if you don’t mind spending a little extra money for that course credit you need, you should stick around and see what a different place this campus is.

You won’t be disappointed.