Partial birth abortions degrade humanity

By Peter Bramsen

Eric Naing might have a problem facing the truth about certain situations. He suggests pro-lifers use the “horrific sounding phrase” “partial birth abortion” instead of the “medically sanctioned” term “Dilation and Extraction” which is actually properly called “Intact Dilation and Extraction” or ID&E; to escalate concerns about the procedure. ID&E; requires the physician to pull the baby through the birth canal with a pair of forceps, leaving the head inside, then jamming a pair of scissors into the skull of the fetus to make a hole. A catheter is then inserted, the brains of the living baby are vacuumed out and the skull crushed.

That sounds horrific to me. It also sounds like murder. Perhaps he uses a different term for other similar acts. Maybe he doesn’t want “moralistic babble”, as he calls it, because it puts a human face on the issue.

Eric contends that Christianity holds a “disturbing influence” over our laws, that it “corrupts the government.” Our founding fathers didn’t share the same opinion. In 1776, Congress urged citizens to “confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and by a sincere repentance and amendment of life, appease his (God’s) righteous displeasure, and through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness.”

Regardless of personal religious convictions, partial birth abortions degrade our humanity. It is factual that they’re a health care concern. Yet rarely is a woman in a position that a partial birth abortion would save her life. The intentional murder of an innocent life to salvage the social convenience of the mother’s is reprehensible.

Is it justified to sacrifice the life of one individual for the expediency of another? No, and a mandate of our government is to protect the right to live for everyone. This ban does just that.

Peter Bramsen

senior in FAA