Fourth of July events planned for campus

By Danielle Gaines

Each July Fourth, Campustown becomes overrun not with students, but with community members. The Champaign County Freedom Celebration will once again take place in the area between the Six Pack and Assembly Hall this summer.

Though some students might have to deal with road closures – Stadium Drive between First and Oak streets – everyone will be able to savor the fireworks at night.

Or, if you want to escape the crowds, trek on over to Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve in Mahomet for the Freedom Fest. The event is free for everyone, but plans are not yet finalized for all events.

Full Freedom Celebration schedule

• 9:30 a.m. – Registration for Youth Run & 5K Race-Walk. Sign up for the event on the east side of Assembly Hall on Fourth Street.
  • 10:30 a.m. – Youth Run, East side of Assembly Hall on Fourth Street. The Youth Run course will be around the Assembly Hall.
  • 11:05 a.m. – 5K Race-Walk, East side of the Assembly Hall on Fourth Street. The 5K Race-Walk course begins on the east side of Assembly Hall on Fourth Street. Following basically a reverse route on the parade route, the race turns east on Kirby/Florida and then north on Lincoln, turning around at about Nevada and returning to the starting point on Fourth.
  • 1:05 p.m. – Parade. The parade begins at Lincoln & Nevada. Continues south on Lincoln to Florida Avenue. Then proceeds west on Florida to First Street. The route then turns south on first and disperses in the Assembly Hall parking lot on the west side of First.
  • 7:00 p.m. – Evening Entertainment with the Tons of Fun Band, Stadium Terrace, near First & Peabody.
  • 9:15 p.m. – Fireworks (time approximate), Stadium Terrace, near First & Peabody.