A sobering reminder from MSNBC

By Jim Furey

On Sept. 11, 2007 the television station MSNBC decided to air, in corresponding real time, the original “Today Show” coverage of the terrorist attacks as they occurred on Sept. 11, 2001.

This uninterrupted and six-year-old broadcast was a sobering reminder for myself and all Americans as to what kind of enemy we’re currently facing all around the world.

This enemy has no regard for human life and wants nothing more than to cripple America and her allies. The freedoms we enjoy and the happiness we’re allowed to pursue here are hated by our enemy.

Whether in Afghanistan, Iraq or any other area of the world, American military and intelligence personnel are fighting for the protection and preservation of these freedoms and liberties.

Our soldiers and intelligence personnel are most especially fighting for our ability to be free from fear.

For fear is the only weapon terrorists like Osama Bin Laden and others have against our great country. Without fear, terrorists have nothing to hurt us with.

As I watched the replayed coverage of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, I got chills up and down my spine and anger at those terrorists and others like them grew inside of me.

These images were a sobering reminder of the immense hatred for America that remains in this world. And knowing that this hatred exists makes my personal resolve to win the War on Terror that much stronger.

If you haven’t recently watched the terrorist attacks that took place on American soil six years ago, I invite you to.

As you do, realize the lengths that our enemies are willing to go to in order to cause us harm.

Then take a look at Iraq and realize that we must win. In the words of Winston Churchill, “We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job.”

Jim Furey

Graduate student in FAA