Double majors attractive to prospective employers

By Brittany Abeijon

While grade point average, related campus involvement and volunteer work make obtaining a job competitive, a double major can distinguish one potential candidate from another.

In the college of LAS, students wanting to complete an additional major must earn at least 12 hours of 300- or 400-level coursework in the second discipline, according to the LAS Web site.

Despite the extra hours of coursework, Sheila Collins, senior in LAS and a double major in psychology and Spanish, is graduating in three and a half years.

“Tackling class schedules and getting all the requirements in is the hardest part,” Collins said. “I definitely take advantage of my counselors.”

Collins took three semesters of 18 hours, the maximum amount usually allowed at the University, but said it is worth it.

She encouraged students double majoring or thinking about double majoring to stay on top of the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) report.

Students can view a version of their degree audit report through the DARS Web report, an unofficial audit of your degree progress that reflects courses in progress.

Collins plans on graduating early, working for a semester, volunteering to teach English in Latin America and then attending graduate school for psychology.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to major in when I came here as a freshman, but I always knew I wanted to study abroad,” she said.

While studying abroad in Granada, Spain, last fall, Collins met Samantha Lloyd, a fellow double major. They quickly became friends because they had so much in common.

Lloyd, senior in LAS, and a double major in political science and Spanish, is planning on becoming an international adoption attorney concentrating on Latin America and believes learning a second language is vital.

“It helped that I always knew what I wanted to do,” Lloyd said. “By senior year I was done with my political science degree and my general requirements, and now I am working on my Spanish major and taking electives.”

Despite graduating on time, Lloyd said that she was often tempted to drop one major because she already had another one, especially with difficult required classes.

“I plan on attending law school and, as a double major, I am a much more attractive prospect,” Lloyd said.

Although double majors are educationally intriguing to many employers and graduate programs, a double major can be practical as well.

“Instead of taking bowling and canoeing because I am done with my major and need more hours to graduate, I could be learning a valuable skill and not wasting time and money,” Lloyd said.

Lloyd encouraged other students to double major and seek help from counselors and the Career Center.

“If you are at this school, you are capable of completing classes,” Lloyd said.

“Four years seems like a lot when you are a freshman, but it goes by fast.”