Post-graduation plans greatly vary

By Hannah Claire Hess

Eric Savage, like many soon-to-be graduates on campus, is feeling pressure to decide exactly what his next step will be after sweeping his tassels to the left this May.

“My adviser told me yesterday I can be anything I want when I grow up,” said Eric Savage, senior in LAS, as he rolled his eyes and snickered.

“My mother’s been bugging me for months but I haven’t figured it out yet,” he added with a shrug.

More than 6,000 bachelor’s degrees are earned at the University each year according to data from the Higher Learning Commission. Then graduates must decide whether they will enter the job market — pursue further education or, as Dariusz Wysocki said, “take a break.”

Wysocki, senior in LAS, intends to spend his first year out of college exploring Europe or Japan.

Ashley Scott, senior in Business, also hopes to travel, although she opts to follow a more structured vocational path.

“I’m going to go the career fair in a few days. If the opportunity to work abroad came about, I would definitely take it,” said Scott, an international business major.

Chen Xu, senior in Engineering, explores Web site postings, in addition to attending career fairs.

Job-hunting is not a concern for Lesley Chouinard, senior in LAS.

“I’m already working full time. I enjoy it and everything, so until I figure out exactly what I’m going to do I’ll probably just stay here,” she said from behind her desk inside the Tower at Third, 302 E. John St.

Ashish Patel plans to volunteer until he figures out his long-term plans.

The senior in LAS is applying to Teach for America.

“I’ll see where that goes for two years. After that I was intending to go to law school, but maybe teach if I like it,” said Patel.

Further schooling is a definite for Charita Thurman, senior in LAS.

“I want to get a year of experience, then go back in 2009 and get my master’s in public health care,” she said.

While their career plans may not be decided, caps and gowns are already filling seniors’ thoughts.

“I can’t wait,” said Thurman.